What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shipping small plants

ludwig777

Neps, Neps, Neps.........
I've got tons of small Drosera binata and capensis seedlings that I would like to distribute, but don't think the minimum $3.85 for a priority package is the right way to go. What's the cheapest and safest way to get these out to people?

bubble wrap envelopes!
smile.gif
you can make a small bottle(about 3 inches long and 1-2 inches wide) to hold the plants in it, put it in the bubble wrapped envelope, and it usally costs only 50 cents or less to ship!
smile.gif
I've done it before, and it works!

make a small bottle out of what?
confused.gif

you can use those small bottels you get at pharmacies (the ones they put prescriptions in)(sarracenialuver came up with the idea) the lids snap on, all you do is punch a few holes in the top, and it's ready to go! or you can cut up a watter bottle and try to make one out of that
tounge.gif
I did it once, it didn't look good, but it worked!

Thanks!

Check with your post office to see what the maximum thickness for an oversized "letter" is, and try and make the package a little thinner than that. Here in Canada the limit is 2cm. I would recommend getting a cardboard mailing tube, then cutting off section that are about 1.5 mm, tape the plant inside and put it in a bubble-wrap envelope. I have also used pieces of styrofoam that have been cut to the right thicknes, and a whole cut in the center.

Ludwig,
You're about to get a package with an idea in it for you....
wink.gif

Actually have it in my hands now!!! Thanks very much!!!

Back