What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scientific cp name pronunciations

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
Ummmm... I have a few questions on the pronunciations of CP names. Here are the names I need help pronunciating: (please specify the emphasis areas, syllable sounds, etc.)

*leucophylla (not sure if it's 'loo-so-PHY-lah' or 'loo-ko-PHY-lah' )
*Dionaea muscipula (on Dionaea: not sure if it's 'Di-o-NEE-ah' or 'Di-o-NAY-ee-ah'. On muscipula: I'm totally befuddled)
*purpurea (it's 'pur-pur-EE-ah', right?)
*Pinguicula primuliflora (on Pinguicila: 'Ping-GWEE-cyoo-lah', right? On primuliflora: 'prim-u-li-FLOR-ah'?)
*Darlingtonia californica (on Darlingtonia: it's 'Dar-ling-TONE-ee-ah', right? On californica: 'cal-i-FORN-i-cah' or 'cal-i-forn-EE-cah'?)
*Drosera adelae (on Drosera: I have no clue. On adelae: 'a-deh-LEE' or 'a-deh-LAY-ee' or... I dunno. I'm totally lost)

Sorry if I'm asking too much...

Thankies,
         a FTG feeling stupid

This is how I pronounce them..
pretty sure they are right!

*leucophylla 'loo-ko-PHY-luh'

*Dionaea muscipula "die-oh-NAY-uh   musk-uh-pue-luh"

purpurea  "pur-pur-ay-uh" (ay like Hay)

*Pinguicula "ping-GUICK-you-luh" (guick is like quick, but with a G)

Darlingtonia californica "dar-ling-tone-e-uh   cal-luh-for-nick-uh" (say it like its all one word  caluhfornickuh, nothing stressed..)

I have also heard Darlingtonia kinda with a silent G,
dar-lin-tone-e-uh

*Drosera adelae  - "droz-er-uh  add-uh-lay"

my droz-ur-uh might be wrong..for some reason I always pronounce it with the Z sound! it might be dross-er-uh

Scot

I've heard leucophylla as 'loo-co-fy-la', 'loo-co-filla' and 'loo-ko-fi-la' so I don't know which is right. With my accent, the second one is more natural for me. The name also has two l's, so it should be 'filla' not 'fy-la' in theory, as oreophila is 'oreo-fy-la'.

Dionaea muscipula I say as 'die-er-nay-er musk-i-pulla'.

Purpurea I say as 'purr-per-ree-a'

Pinguicula I just say 'ping'!

I've heard drosera as 'droh-serra' and 'droserra'.

Don't feel stupid. I'm sure there is hardly a person here who hasn't felt like an idiot because they aren't sure of the pronunciation of a lot of these words. Most of us fluff through it and hope for the best. And sometimes even the "experts" disagree. I've always pronounced flava as "flah-va"...and then I heard someone else say "flay-va". I think flah-va is more southern.
smile.gif

A prununciation guide would be helpful. I've searched myself, but so far haven't found any.

I say flah-va and you say flay-va
I say poTOTo and you say poTAYto...
and so it goes.
smile.gif

Suzanne
(pronounced Sue-Zann, NOT Susan&#33
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif

Thanks all! So, basically, I've been pronoucing all of them right except for leucophylla! I've been saying 'Loo-so-FI-la' instead of 'loo-ko-FI-la'. Otherwise, I got lucky! ***feels brilliant***
biggrin.gif

i was gonna make a post like this , anyways , i need help on a few pronounciations too :

how do you pronounce : sphagnum , i've been caling it all sorts of things .

sarracenia leucophylla , i;ve been callin it lee-you-co-phil-ah

sarracenia pssitacina , iono if i'm saying it correct but i've been calling it piss-sit-tah-see-nuh

byblis , i have been calling it bib-liss , is this correct

pinguicula , i have been calling it ping-goo-ik-cul-ah

i agree that most of us don't really have a clue as to the correct way to pronounce all of these different names...

i just keep hoping that someone would make a web site that simply listed the phonetic spellings of off the various names associated with carnivorous plants!

peace,
technoracer

As Bob stated these are based in Latin. It is not difficult when you know the rules. No promise, but I will work on it when I have the time. HaHaHa. (If someone else does not get to it before hand) Could be a long wait.

Also, As I have noted with news casters lately, the pronunciation will change as so the speaker can feel cool and different.

It helps when with pronunciation when you live in Miami Florida with all the Spanish. It seems that most Latin names work out if you pronounce them as if they were spanish ('cause spanish is more closely related to Latin). Anyways, there are still some I'm not sure of:

veitchii vEHt- chia?
raja I say RAH-ha, but I've heard RA-jah

Regards, hamata

Y'all remember now that Latin was not a spoken language so don't be overly concerned. Rules of pronunciation are only others opinions on how the words should sound, and when you add in the reigonal accents it's pretty much anything goes.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Y'all remember now that Latin was not a spoken language [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Tamlin, just checking, but didn't ancient romans speak latin? I think I would call Latin a dead language, meaning no one speaks it anymore...(sorry, just got back from the Collesium&#33
wink.gif

I'm learning Latin in an online highschool. They have pronunciation guides and oral quizzes, so I'm pretty sure that it is still spoken (though rarely). Mostly it is for translating, but if you wanted to bad enough, (and had enough time to figure out each word and which of the gazillion conjugations or declensions it belonged to) you could speak it. Just my small input!!
tounge.gif

SF

I was always of the impression that the written latin (the one we are trying to sort out today) and the spoken version were very dissimilar. Mostly due to dialects and different educators. I got the impression that it was kind of like comparing english to german, very similar when when written, whole different language when spoken....  Just a thought.

As for what I do when trying to pronouce the words, I take a page from my daughters word games "Every letter makes a sound", add my limited knowledge of latin and wing it from there.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">kind of like comparing english to german[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Ever studied german, Kate? They aren't written at all alike. German has three genders, the grammer is all different...about the only similarities there are is vocabulary. What a bear to study!
wink.gif

Not like english is any easier with all of our REDICULOUS spelling rules....and how come "phonetic" isn't spelled the way it sounds?

I have heard the p is silent in pssitacina as is (sit-a-sina) and that leucophylla is correctly pronouced as (lew-ko-fill-a); I still pronouce it as (lew-ko-FI-la).

I took three years of Latin in highschool and I was taught that a G is always pronounced as a hard G as in "great." Most people I know pronounce genlisea with a soft g as in (jen-lis-e-a). I'm not sure if the Latin pronounciation of genlisea is the accepted one or not.

Unfortunately I have studied German.... a trauma I am trying very hard to forget... and yes, you make a point... The similarity ends at spelling (something that still frightens me when you take into account the pronunciation of the similar words)... I think it illustrated the point decently well though.

Back