What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Akai ryu or typical

Looks just like my Green Dragons. As I recall, someone else had a pic of seedlings that looked just like those and he also said they are Akai Ryu. They look an awful lot like my Green Dragons prolly still worth the price..  but the ID is questionable.

Steve
edit: Here are some other pics of my Green Dragons:
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

I'm fairly sure those are not Red Dragons. Look more like Green Dragons to me also.

There is red pigment outside of the trap, so they aren't typical VFT plants. Look like Green Dragon to me, or Red Dragon's that haven't been getting enough sun.

If you see plants like that at Lowes, that would be a surprise!

They are red dragons
wink.gif
You can tell by the color and the petiol shape and the shape of the teeth. They just don't have enough sun for full red color.

At first I was leaning away from Akai ryu, but from what i've seen of the green dragons, they're red doesn't get that red. It get's to be quite a darker shade, mixing a bit with the left over green. Red dragons seem to get actually red.

I can't see the pic but I'd be far more concerned about the cultivating information provided. He recommends fertilizing! He also mentions growing them in 40% shade which may account for the lack of red coloration (from what everyone is saying).

Suzanne

Most growing info i've seen for vft's state that they like partial sun. From what i've seen, they like it 'til it almost hurts.
tounge.gif

Suzanne nailed it with the 40% shade comment. Those plants are likely 'Akai Ryu' but they need better light to get good colour. One thing that I do want to point out is that the seller is totally wrong about the plants being a Japanese production. 'Akai Ryu' was created by and is registered to Ron Gagliardo of the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. If anyone knows how to contact E-bay sellers they might want to point that out to this person (and feel free to have them contact me with any questins on that matter too.)

I hate when someone see's a word, in this case 'Akai Ryu', see's that it's a japanese word, hence the plant must have been developed in Japan.

People are screwy.

Anything to make a buck, huh? Kind of like the S. purpurea "red" that I bought, the guys website has the picture he used for the "red" under standard purpurea now.

It looks like a S. purpurea venosa...except the S. purpurea venosa that I know is that is much redder.
tounge.gif

Back