What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tissue culture

I was just interested in what tissue culture actually is...like do you put cuttings in pots and grow them or is it something to do with the cells of the plants? I would really appreaciate it if someone explained the process to me for i am just wondering about it out of pure interest. Thanks in advance.

I have been interested in Tissue Culture as well.

My understanding of it is this. Tissue culture uses sterile media and chemicals to force plant material (Cuttings, seeds, and I guess in some high tech instances, Cells,) into an advanced state of growth.

I know there are a couple people out there who have actually done tissue culture, Phil and Jaie should have some info on it...

I found a definition in a cp book that i though might be of interest to you
Tissue culture: A chemical method of reproduction in which fragments of tissue are transferred to an artifical environment to enable them to reproduce. Using this method, up to one million plants can be produced in a year!

ttt for Nep G.

Pat

How do you guys do your TC?

With the meristem, leaf tip,
confused.gif
??

Seeds are easiest. Often leaves will work as well, if they are fresh. You do what you would normally do when you take a cutting just then you place this cutting in a sterile environment with lots of nutrients and hormones to get the too grow fast and multiply quickly.

Noah

Hey noah. All I need to know is how to do tiisue culture period. The main things I need to know are: The media and how to make it for all CP's. How to sterilaze stuff. How to do TC like with leaves,seeds,etc. Anything else is helpful and gladly accepted. Nep.G.

See...

There are more people other than me that can help you.

Although I do appreciate the kind words for me! =)

I sterilize baby food jars in a pressure cooker. I know that it sounds weird...but I haven't the money for an autoclave or something like that. The pressure cooker works fine for me.

As far as the medium...I get it pre-made from a company and I couldn't even begin to tell you what all is in it.

But when you are doing this ( if you plan to )...you need a sterile room( or place). Or else...you will grow everything else that is in the air. That would be a lot of stuff!!!

I was going to say jaie. If You didn't appraciate those kind words then I would classify you as wierd. Everyone appreciates kindness
smile.gif
Of course too much may kill somone!
smile.gif
Killing with kindness. I think TC will be too expensive and too complicated so i will propagate stuff the old fashioned way. It is just too cmplicated and I know I couldn't do it because I just know I would get the media wornd I wound't strilize enough or get in bactria. Ohh TC isn't fair! Nep.G.

I buy my media from:  http://www.kitchenculturekit.com/catalog.htm

I use them for Hosta media but they have a CP media.  I think it is around 15.00.

Hope this helps.

(Edited by NikHiner at 8:32 am on Dec. 14, 2001)

Yup, same here, 1/2 strength MS media works great for most cp's. And NG, I'm sure you could do it if you tried, come on, I'm doing it and I'm only 16. So there
smile.gif
It can get a little expensive, but you can offset costs by selling or trading the plants you produce this way.... assuming you are successfull.

I use a microwave to sterilize my baby food jars, it works fine. An emptly aquarium will do as a "clean area" and most of the other tools needed you probably already have in your house. If you (or anyone else) has any other questions regarding tc email me.

Noah

Back