What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mean CPers

I've noticed that people in CP forums (not necessarily this one) tend to come down pretty hard on little kids. What's up with this? If you came across an 11 year-old at your local CP club meeting would you start lecturing him on spelling and grammar, or make fun of his confidence, or bait him into elaborating what was probably a lie in the first place.

Remember: 11 year-olds are those little 4-foot-tall people you see on the street. Sometimes it's easy to forget this when you are just reading what they write instead of seeing them in real life.

I'm not 4 feet tall!
mad.gif
sad.gif

Dodecatheon you've provided enough info to make it obvious that you're referring to Pitcherplant_Lord (let's call him PPL as I can't be bothered typing that every 2 minutes) over on GW, and as you can see I have posted replies to him.

There are two points that I want to make:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you came across an 11 year-old[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Your example is not really appropriate, we are not coming across an 11 year old anywhere. His age is not mentioned anywhere in his profile or any of his posts (at least that I have read) up until the recent one that you refer to. He could be either an immature teenager or an illiterate one, or someone older being silly (admittedly not very likely).

Secondly, my own posts were in fun and I don't see how they could be taken any other way. The poster's that have made other comments have apologised when this guy became upset, mentioned his age, etc and it appears that everyone feels the same way you do, and maybe a bit guilty.

11 year old's still need to be careful of what they post and need to be told not to lie or exaggerate.

Cheers, Troy.

Hi Dodecatheon

I don't think age is EVER the criteria for "coming down hard" on someone. I can only speak for these forums but the goal here is for everyone to be polite and respectful to every other member. And that applies whether you are 7 or 70. Every member is asked to honor the golden rule here..."be nice!"

There is a lot freedom on these forums which are GENEROUSLY provided by Jeff and Phil (Exotic Gardens) so people can learn, make friends, give advice, help newbies and get to know fellow CP/plant enthusiasts around the world. But it only takes a few to mess it up for all.

As long as people are friendly, polite, tactful and respectful... no one of any age has to worry about being being treated badly. However if any member, regardless of age, is rude, demanding, mean or disrepectful, it will NOT be tolerated. The good of ALL comes before selfishness of an individual or two.

That being said, even the younger members have a responsiblity to watch what they say and how they say it. Manners are appreciated and any complaints with individuals should be addressed PRIVATELY or thru a moderator. Sometimes enthusiasm and passion can be misinterpreted as an attack of some sort. But thats what moderators are here for...to make sure nothing is being said that will hurt someone else.

I like to see new members including the youngsters as they will be the future guardians and protectors (stewards, as Tamlin says)
smile.gif
of these rare and beautiful plants. We want young members to join, to be active members...to ask, to learn and to have FUN! (And to spread the news that CPs are COOL&#33
wink.gif

To every member...be understanding that not everyone is on the same level of experience. Be the one to offer guidance in a helpful way to a newbie. Criticism is a negative...offering to help and share your knowledge is the way! Be tactful!

Offering information, sharing experiences, learning and fun are the rewards here!

Suzanne

I pretty much enthusiastically agree with plantakiss

I also would like to add that if you ever see this happening here to inform a moderator about the situation and your feelings. Even if its a mod doing it there is usually another one close at hand you could message us and of course theres Phil and Jeff. One thing though please avoid conflict as far as posting your thoughts on the site it just makes the situation worse
confused.gif

If I ever have done anything to make you (or anybody else) feel thet Im picking on anybody I appologize, not only to you but to whomever it was
smile.gif

I have noticed that there seems to be 'a good ol' boys club' with regards to the older growes and the younger ones. Even the olders one that don't belong to this 'club'

I know that some members here have been pushed aside, been rude to or was referred to other people/places becuase the 'elite' didn't want to answer why your VFT is turning brown after you fed it dog food.

I think that it is truly ashame that people feel they cannot help, or are tired of helping out. Therefore, it is only necessary to grow their collections of very rare plants, that only encourages others to obtain them as well in an effort of self matching.

It is because of this ( I feel ) tuberous drosea, VFT, Nepenthes and Sarracenia ( are the next in line ) are becoming more endangered. Soon, many of these plants will become extinct in the wild, because of the few that make the demand so high, but nevertheless, refuses to share or wants to charge hundreds of dollars because of its status.

I truly think that the CP elders are giving the rest of the CP collectors, as well as some growers, a bad name. There are a few that I have come across that truly feel the need to help, that want to share, that wants to bring more things into the mainstream. Yet, unfortunately, there are those that feel the total opposite. What I don't understand is, many years ago, before the advent of the internet. Before rapidly expanding collections via tissue culture...Sure I can understand not wanting to give up prize stock, because it took so long to grow. But now there are ways to grow things faster,as well as share information in a way that has never been done before.

To me, there is really no excuse for beating up on people that don't know. Or for that matter, people who 'think' others do not know.

If you find someone that you would like to be a mentor to, do so. Take someone under your wing, teach and share with them your knowledge. To me, that is truly the only way to do this.

I know man of you give away seed, plants. I do the same. And often I will trade things that I have a ton of....( if the person is insisting on trading something ). Other times, I will just send plants to someone. I try and make sure of course that the person knows what they are getting, and can demonstrate how to take care of them. No one should give things away that the recipient cannot grow, or is unsure how to grow.

Simple lessons and simple plants are a starting point for anyone. But that chance has to be extended if we are wanting others to learm.

Merely brushing them aside as if they are afflicted is not the way.

What about those that just don't want to learn, or choose not to:

Then don't share. Offer your help to a point. Then say ultimatley, 'That's it, no more'. I know that there are many other people that are far more willing to have someone help them out. Never let 1 bad apple spoil the bunch.

================

I have seen the goings on in the other forum about the person getting beat on. I often travel to other forums to see what is happening. Not to post, just to look.

The person in question, has provided a ton of misinformation, and is only leaving himself open for an attack.

Do I agree with it? Of course not. But I cannot speak for the others ( it appears that they have already spoken for themselves
smile.gif
).

If anyone is up for a challenge, then offer that person, or anyother, help for what they are doing. Just a suggestion... You can take it to heart or with a grain of salt.

Just felt the need to chime in!

I am happy that someone has brought this up, even if it has gone astray somewhat.

Cheers!!!

If this is referring to my post (and itprobably is), I am sorry if it was really an 11 year old kid, and it was a mistake to mention this other site here. I still have my suspicions about that poster, but I suppose posting them, especially on another site, was a mistake. Sorry.

HEY! I am 12 and I get yelled at alot and no one takes me seriuosly. I say to some of my mom and dads friends " Do you want to see some of my carnivorous plants?" and all they say is "Maybe later". No one takes us younger people that seriuosly. It's not fun. And I am not 4 feet tall. Lol

I had that problem when I was younger. I was a smart kid that would hang out with nice adults. Thing is when I'd meet a "normal" adult they'd automatically give me baby talk or brush me off. I learned that if you treat them with respect and show your intelligence and knowledge they'll eventually figure out how to deal with you properly. If not, feel sorry for them.

Also, I have met plenty of people of all ages that don't want to see my plants, carniverous or not. They don't care about my age or my plants, it's just not interesting to them.

And I am 5' tall, and look young so people still treat me like a kid sometimes! Everytime I get a childrens menu I order a beer!
smile.gif

strange... i told my boss at work about plants and i dunno how far one goes to pretend to look interested but he asked me the site name 3 times, so im thinking he really is gonna check pft out
i at younger ages, never had problems with not being listened to, so i cant relate, jaie, ,  
wow.gif
(speechless)

edit- thanx or the seeds, i'm gonna grow them extra well
and i can BET ! that i will find a new technique of growing them better
biggrin.gif
! thx for all ur support
smile.gif

at first when i got to this forum i was like
hmm, everyone has plants, im never gona get any,,,
i was interested about cps and i read, pitcher plants became interesting, then i realized, most people will give them way for a sase, or even FREE (wow) so, if jeff and phil were, leaders of us, and it was communism (lol)
wink.gif
i bet it wud work out as communism was meant to, they dont seem greedy at all
tounge.gif

Okay first off, i dont think this is only cpers, i think this is everyone in gereral that is being unfriendly. People are critisizing children because of their age. I know we are supposed to respect our elders, but arnt our elders supposed to respect us also? I think the reason people are getting mad is because we have been hit so hard with what is so correct and its pounded into us, one slight mishap and things can go haywire. Just because the person is typing badly dosent mean he is immature, not taught. It may mea they just dont read over everything they type.

P.S. i wasnt 4 feet tall when i was 11, but i know waht you mean, in general
wink.gif
P.s. I dont mean any offence with this, just giving my opinion, dont get mad  
sad.gif

my comments were not aimed at anyone in specific.

My comments were more for venting purposes and to be a call to arms
smile.gif

I think that more needs to be done, and we are the ones that can do it!!!

cpers of the world unite!
smile.gif

I wish that I could contribute seed and plants to this community as others have, but the plain and simple truth is, for all my involvement in this hobby, my collection is small, and limited, and hasn't gotten to the point where I can do much in the way of giving...

but I DO give my time to this site as a moderator... and I am sure everyone will agree I am not exactly the cuddliest one on the block... but there is a place for cuddly moderators, and there is a place for those that have found it easy to get the point across in as well.. blunt, and honest a fashion as possible.

I know some people I have spanked probably took personal offense about it, please don't, I don't know you, or know much about you, I know this place, and I try to protect it.

I have had a pretty nasty day job for the last 6 months, and it has really impeded my time here... well, that has all changed, and I have more free time now, so hopefully I can contribute more than my mallet now. I don't grow the biggest or most exotic questions, but i do have the personality where I like to answer the little questions, so bring it on.

Also, remember it is places like this one where people are not scared to share information, where a bog here and there will be saved, where rare and exotic plants will enter more widespread cultivation... Petflytrap, while a business venture, is a conservation venture as well, you see, if Phil and Jeff can provide you with an inexpenisve plant that others are selling for 100 bucks, they have made it more easy to get ahold of... more people buy it, and then the trading starts, buying continues... and before you know it, everyone is growing clipetea, hamata, and so on... strain is taken off natural resources, and they have a chance to thrive without human interference... that's a good thing!

I like what kevin said! We are not little 4 foot tall (I'm almost 5 foot fyi) And kevin (plantslikebugs) is totally right. The only way I get attention is by using a word like:
superantidisestablisiantisim!!! pant, pant!

actually, the best way to get attention, is to not try and get it.

By being a responsible member of the community, helping people with good information, being kind, considerate, and respectful, you will for friendships with people that will serve you far in excess of momentary glory.

smile.gif

It seems like these topics come up alot more often...about people being mean, useless stuff being posted, and little arguements over oppinions. Can't we put this aside and not take everything to heart. Sometimes it is best to keep your mouth shut then blabbering off your oppinion or teasing people. Remeber if you tease someone that gives them the right to tease you back and you have to learn how to deal with it. If you can not take it, do not dish it out. Who cares how the spelling is. This is a forum, not a job were spelling has to be correct.

That is my 43.5 cents worth of oppinions,
Travis
wink.gif

ok, no harm meant. I just don't really like being called 4 feet tall... I wish i had something to give as well. I have a limited collection, and wish I could be a mod. to help out. I try to help as much as possible, though, so I'm not saying anything.
I thing we should drop this topic, and all be at one.
smile.gif

Back