What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenhouse

wow.gif
hmmm... i'm a tenth of a century!
smile.gif

Those are some good ideas Magore. I hadn't thought of using water for thermo regulation.

Hey guys, no talk of getting old-----we just get better!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
(I stopped counting but will say I've past you all so far)

On the heat issue, I strongly suggest some method of ventilation. A solar or battery operated fan perhaps, since there is no electric. Leave sections at the roof area uncovered is possible too.

On the cold issue, depends on the plants that you plan on. I would think plants in dormancy that can take the cold would be fine as they would be sheltered for the high winds and bitter cold. I would not try to grow tropicals in that condition though LOL. Remeber the sun does shine in the winter too and will provide some heat build during the day. But I would treat it more as a cold frame than greenhouse for the winter.

My 2 cents----

The water works in several ways. One it helps regulate the heat. Two some bladderworts grow like crazy in the warm water, ie U.gibba. Three it is a great place to overwinter tropical water plants.

WOW!!! Thanks to all for the help! I'll keep you updated!
smile.gif

hmmm....
water....
hmmm....

Hey, wouldn't it be cool to have a water garden next to a greenhouse?

hmmm...

The more I think about it, the better it sounds!  This would really help to keep the humidity up around my shadehouse  during those hot days, and It sure would look good.

hmm....

I think I found my next project!
biggrin.gif

Joel©

Hey Joel

Hope your exam went well?

I have a nice new shadehouse (greenhouse, is that the same thing?) that's 7m long x 4m wide x 2.5m tall. The floor needed building up as it was uneven and approx. 30cm below the actual level of the shadehouse frame.

What I did was built it up with wood shavings and bark chips.
It is excellent because it's pleasant to walk on plus it retains the moisture for a long time and therefore it is VERY humid in there. I sweat in seconds every time I go in.
I also have a rain system that one of my staff turns on for a minute or two every half hour and that cools it slightly.

I too like the idea of a water garden next to a shadehouse but this is a suggestion if you don't have the time, space or budget, to make one.

Cheers, Troy.

For cooling in HOT weather place a piece of evaporative cooling pannel ( see your local hard ware ) in the INCOMEING air vent ( Usually low on a wall ) with just a light drip of water supplied, just damp. This usually works to well and gets throtteled either by air flow or water supply. if you got $$$ a solar recycling pump setup is great for this. The exhaust vent (hot air out) should be at your highest point. We use 2 heat motors for automatic vent operation w/o electricity.

Ghrey

Back