What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenhouse

Has anyone done this? I'm thinking like a 8'x8' or 8'x12'.
Would it be cheaper to build or buy? There is no electricity in the spot, and we get 118*F to 28*F.

This is a perfectly valid question and not stupid at all.

We won't lock it unless people start acting rude and calling names (not sure how that could come about with the topic but anything is possible I guess.)

And if you are still worried that it is stupid I will second the request.

Pyro

No, I'm not personally worried, I just thought I might be missing something...

Depending on where you live, what you plant to grow and if you have electricity a green house can be fairly inexpensive or very expensive. I built a pre-fab one last year, it is about 7'X8' and it was over $1,100.00. It has the double pane plastic pannels. If you don't have dogs or small kids who will rip the sides you can make one out of the heavy duty plastic that you can get at Home depot. You will have to replace the plastice every couple of years, but it will give you an idea of how a greenhouse works. Message me for more information.

well, no dogs, hopefully siblings won't terrorize it, and sadly no electricity
wow.gif
sad.gif
It can get up to 118*F so, I guess we should lock this topic...

I say we keep it open and see what develops. You never know
smile.gif

I am also interested in the entire greenhouse thread. Considering putting something new in this year and I am interested in experiences and options.

Cheers

A very cheap way to make a greenhouse it to buy 4x4 pieces of lumber and then holding them together at right angles with bolts . You could then put some poly film over the whole structure for insulation. I made a frame like this in my back yard (without the poly film insulation), and It's both simple to make and cheap. The materials cost a total of around $110 (which could be cheaper in other places) and my shadehouse is 5ft wide, by 11 ft long by 6.5 ft high. If I need more room, I could just build another one for the same price!
smile.gif
in either case, the cost doesn't get nearly as high as a prefabricated greenhouse. I'm actually thinking of making another frame since my current one is already starting to get crowded.
smile.gif

Joel

Thanks!
So kinda like a wood house with plastic over it?
confused.gif

well...I guess...
confused.gif

I'm sure that you could make it look prettier some way though.

Joel

What about the issue of 118*F in the summer and 28*F in the winter?

I have also heard of making a base using 2 x 4's. You simply level your ground, and bolt 2 x 4's together to make a border around it.

Then, you figure out how tall you want it, and erect 'center poles' down the length of the green house.

Your next step, is to take cattle fencing, and anchor one end of it (lengthwise) to one side of the base, and the other end to the other side, this makes a half circle, with the apex of the arch resting on center pole. Repeat this all the way down, binding each fence section with wire, and to the center pole.

When your done, you pull some heavy weight plastic over the surface, and then your shade cloth.

You can erect 'ends' (Dont forget to put a door in) by either plugging with wood, or making a frame much like you just did with the cattle fencing.

and the heat and cold issues don't matter?
confused.gif

Lithopsman,

Patience please, I am sure some one will answer you question when they can think of an answer.

Since this looks to have become a general 'How-To' on greenhouse building then a lot of ideas are going to get thrown about by a lot of people. Just because you started it doesn't mean everyone who posts has to answer only your questions.
smile.gif
Your questions are good ones to bring up but give people the option to run their own thoughts too.

Pyro

Yes, yes, I know, i guess I shoul've defined a little better.

You are just young and exhuberant
smile.gif
That isn't a bad thing, I was there once now I'm getting old (almost 25
wow.gif
)

Where i come from, everyone wishes they were your age...
wink.gif

Pyyyyrroooo!
Old! Ha!
mad.gif
wow.gif

You're a spring chicken! Almost 25 indeed!
Make us 29's feel so old that the dead sea was just sick when we were born
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Man, my fingers are creaking as I type!
wink.gif

Something about the fact that I think of it as being a quarter of a century makes me feel old. Maybe it is the use of the word century
tounge.gif

For my first greenhouse I sarted with a base of landscape timbers I used 3/4" pvc pipe to make a frame that looked like it would fit on a costagaa sp wagon. I took 1" pipe and cut it into 8-10" sections and drove them into the ground. I then placed the ends of the frame into them and drilled a hole through the pipes and into the landscape timbers. I covered the whole thing with plastic. Then my Husband came back from a camping trip and had a fit
smile.gif
He then made frames for the ends.

You can use cross venlation  and shde cloths to help the heat down in the summer and water containers to help keep the heat in the winter. I think the water helps absorb the heat in the summer also. White floors also help to keep the temp. down. For extra heat retention in the winter you need two layers of plastic with an air pocket in between them. I have heard that you can also line them with bubble wrap.

Back