What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rain collector

• Thread starter infinitylimit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cut
I

infinitylimit

Hello all,

I looked around the internet for a rain collector and found most are kinda of expensive and come with things I don't believe I need.  I decided I was going to make my own.  I looked on the internet for information and didn't really find much.  I live in portland,oregon and it rains a good deal here and I think that the it's clean enough for the CPs that bonnie and I are raising.  I have a rough idea of what I plan on making but would greatly appreciate any help I could get on ideas.

Below is a picture of my idea, not sure if it will work.
rcollect.gif

Basically this is a tarp with a whole cut that fits the funnel and is beveled so the water will run to the funnel and into a 55 gallon drum.

Thanks again,
-Gerrad

Nice idea, but I think I have a way to simplify it.

You will obviously have problems connecting the tarp to the funnel.  So instead, either sew in a screen or punch a bunch of small holes into the center of the tarp.  Then place a rock (or something) heavy enough to bend the tarp toward the center right above the drum.  The water flows toward the rock then goes through the holes into the funnel.

Here is a top view
--------------------
|                         |
|          ooo          |
|       oROCKo      |
|          ooo          |
--------------------

What do you think?

Shouldnt even need a rock, the weight of the water would be more than enough to pull the center of the tarp down. You could also build it on a slope so the water runs down naturaly.

Good Luck
Steve

The biggest issue is securing the tarp against the wind. The poles will need to be strong and you will need to reinforce the tarp to prevent it from just tearing out where it is secured.
T

Thank you so much for you ideas.

Yeah I was thinking I would make a flap that would go over the lip of the funnel and I would push the tarp thru the edges of the funnel and possibly sewing it to the lip, but I didn't even think about using a screen and sewing it in, that is in excellent idea. I need to get this figured out and built before the rainy season
biggrin.gif

Thanks. -Gerrad

Here's another idea. Get a garbage can, Line the inside with heavy duty garbage bag, And put some wire mesh on top and tape it down. Then whever you need it, lift the mesh, and get some water =D.

That garbage can idea is a good one, I just don't know how fast it will collect currently we are going through close to 4 gallons every two weeks, but then again we are getting a ton of new plants (thanks everyone). I was going to use the tarp to increase the collection but maybe a couple of garbage cans with mesh tops might do it
biggrin.gif

Thanks,

-Gerrad

hi

I was going to mention a screen but someone beat me to it. I bought some fiberglass screening. Comes in a roll at the hardware store for just a few bucks. Its flexible and shouldn't contaminate the water at all. I bought it to filter the water that goes into my rain barrel. There is a lot of debris (leaves, sticks and in my case pecan tree debris) that would get into the water if you don't filter it out first. Will help keep the water cleaner. It can also help keep mosquitoes out.

BTW, welcome to the forums.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Back