What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here I go with plant names again

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Below are a few links to excellent information on correctly writing plant names:

I would like to say that the form that the plant names are written in is very important and has been detailed much in the literature, and in the links below, but it is just as important to spell the plant names correctly, as it is to write them in the proper format.

I would ask if everyone would please give a little extra thought to how the names are written/spelled before you click on that, "Submit Post" button.

Thank you all.

Link to site with very succinct information about plant names.

How to correctly write plant names

Site with even more specific details

Site to more informal discussion of the issue

You may note that there are a very few differences in how plant names are written between garden variety plants and CP. It was once acceptable to use the "X" to indicate that the plant, even a cultivar, was of hybrid origins. This is no longer correct. The convention has been changed so that only single quotes are placed before and after the cultivar name and the name is written with the first letters capitalized and the cultivar name is never underlined or italicized.

For example: Pinguicula 'Weser' is correct and Pinguicula X Weser or Pinguicula X 'Weser' are not correct. If a cultivar is registered properly any information about its parentage, if any, can be found in the registration information. After all CP hybrids are not named, except for the few that were created in error by early botanists in their eagerness to publish species. CP cultivars are named, so they deserve their genus name and their cultivar name as appropriate.

Is anyone interested in plant names?

At Cal-Poly taxonomy was rough. I often thought of this poem

Latin is a language
It's dead as it can be
It killed the ancient Romans
And now it's killing me!

biggrin.gif

Thanks for the links PinguiculaMan,
 As I am bilingual (I speak the Queen's English & American English  
biggrin.gif
), I caught this post over there and book marked the links for future reference.  After reading them of course!
biggrin.gif

Hey now...I took Latin.
smile.gif
And I can still sing Jingle Bells in Latin too...."Tinniat, tinniat, tentinae bellum..."

Latin lives!
biggrin.gif

Suzanne,

Esto perpetua :)

Joseph,

I have to agree, the name thing is important. Without the correct spelling, you can't reference the plant. I appreciate your editing and correcting my frequently mis-spelled entries.

Back