What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Couple of technical questions

Inquiring minds want to know---

1. How do you wash sand? That is wash it and not have most of it still sitting in the drive way when your done? My attempts seemed to waste more than clean more LOL---but I do have the tendancy to do things the hard way---so how do you do it?

2. Do you recycle used peat? If it has been in a terrarium, used as substrate to cover pots? What would be the best way to sterlize it to reuse? Bake it, Nuke it, Boil it? I know there are tons of gnat eggs all through the stuff but sure hate to just compost and start all over.

3. Do you recycle used LFS? Same as above? I suppose any sterlizing of this would certainly kill any live spores that may be in it, but I'd still hate to compost and start all over.

Well, that's my list, thanks for any thoughts

I never sterilize peat or long fibered sphagnum. Of course, I really like to get it to start growing around my plants. The only time I won't reuse it is for seed germination.

I wash sand in a bucket: put the sand in, cover with water and slosh it around, dump the water, and repeat usually x3.

To recycle peat, I have an outdoor peat pile in a childs wading pool: a relic of a failed bog design that works well for me. If there is insect infection I would ditch the affected pots and not reuse it.

I don't recycle LF moss.

Back