What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

resurrecting dry sphagnum

Hi, I was trying to get some dry long fiber sphagnum to regrow and i think i goofed...

I soaked some dry moss in distilled water and then put it in a large freezer ziplock and put it on a partially sunny windowsill (no fluorescents)... that was a month ago... still no growth.

I'm wondering if my bags got too hot and i inadvertently cooked it? Should I scrap that moss (ie. use it in potting mix) and start over with some more dry?

Anybody have any tips?
Or any places to buy live sphagnum for pennies??
(Many) People keep saying its the best growing medium, but where do you get it?

some of my dry long fiber sphagnum that i was keeping my cps in started turning green....
i thing it was algae though
biggrin.gif

roflmao.

I got some tiny heads of them when I ordered my first Sarracenia (S. purp ssp purp) 5 or so years ago. And it grows fast! I have them covering most of the plant pots just from those small pieces.

You probably cooked it. Shagnum grows best in cool bright conditions, direct sun in a sealed bag would be too hot.

Is a sealed bag okay for humidity? Is it the best way to grow Sphagnum?

Back