What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium

I am planning on sticking my best VFT, and my rotundifolia into my small fish tank. What can I use UNDERNEATH the planting medium? I have aquarium gravel, but I dont think that that is good for them... Its like painty and dusty... I think, its not kuz i washed it, but it was dusty when i bought it, you know? Anyhow, any other idea of a small plant i can put with them?

aquarium gravel is fine from the chemical standpoint, it's dusty because well, it's rocks moving around in a bag against one another.

Wash them well, get the dust out and your'll do great.

Aquarium gravel is made of non porous non water soluble because it needs to be inert to maintain PH balance in aquariums...

Oh yea, duh. I feel dumb. I forgot it goes in the bottom of a tank of water... what about the acidity from peat or sphagnume?

It will be fine in that respect too. Make sure though, that you make some way that you can see all the way down to the bottom of the tank so that you can tell how much water is in the soil, you don't want to over water and rot your roots away. I accomplish this with a either just a hole I keep from filling in, or a small terra cotta pot that lets the water seep in through the sides. Do whatever works for you.

Back