What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sand or perlite?

Is perlite a suitable replacement for sand in CP mixes? The sand I get are usually unwashed, and it's quite a hassle to get it cleaned, so I was wondering if perlite is a suitable replacement, thanks.

Yes, but rinse your perlite, too! I use it all the time, with peat moss for most things, and in my Nepenthes mix, which has mostly lfs and some orchid bark, perlite, pumice, charcoal, and a pinch of peat.

Capslock

If you use perlite, make sure you check the ingredients. Don't use miracle gro brand!! It has their evil plant food in it, Poison! I used sand and sphagnum peat once with a sarr. and it died. I think perlite would work much better.
alien.gif

droseradude, I made the same mistake in April with a bag of Miracle Gro Peat Moss. I darn near killed a S. tarnok and a vft. Check the label!!!

Capslock

yah , whatever you do , make sure its the pure sutff not that crap that has fertilizers and water holding chemicals added . sand and perlite are the 2 most used additives to spahgnum so there no real substitutes but i hear that sand is hard to find and when it is found you have to make sure you got the right type . i don't rinse any of my soils and my cos seem to be ok with it so rinsing them is an option .

someday in the enar future i wish that if they can make already to use orchid miz and african violet soil then why can't they make a soil espeiclally for cos that can be sold anywhere , would'nt life be easier .
wink.gif

Back