What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What have you found?

Right now I'm trying to grow some sphagnum moss to topdress
my soil with and so far I've found some grass and a cricket in the moss. Even though I could have sworn I rinsed the dead moss with very hot water. So, I was wondering. What have you found in your moss? Anything strange?

well I havent ever found anything more exciting than little sticks in mine and lets face it thats pretty boring

all i have ever found is sticks, sticks and more sticks in the moss. buy the way does moss come with the sticks

I have only bought dead sphagnum moss but it comes to life quite readily. All my tanks now have a lush green mat of it. I do however get a lot of something that look like a boston fern. It starts out as two little green lobes that eventually grow into the fern thing. I have always wanted to know what that is and why it grows in the sphagnum. I guess it is something found naturally in the moss.

Suzanne

I don't know where it came from but a sundew popped up in my Nepenthes hamata pot full of live moss. I believe it is a D. adelae but it is not growing large as my D. adelae and has wider leaf blades but has the ponty shaped leaves. I do have a D. binata dichotoma 'giant' (is that right) in the terrarium as a gnat catcher but this is clearly a different sundew. I also have had liverworts, non sphagnum mosses (or at least not the same type of spahgnum as the long fibered stuff), ferns and grasses pop up in my NZ long fibered sphagnum moss. If you're growing your moss in highland conditions with extremely high humidity and some air flow you will likely get all sorts of things.

Whereas the US spahgnum from mosser lee brand only had leaves, twigs, rocks, etc. But I'll bet the very coarse mosser lee stuff is much closer to a nepenthes natural soil. I planted my Nepenthes Jfinn, ventrata, fusca and inermis in the US moss and it's much lighter and drains freer than the NZ stuff and the plants seem to grow very well but the moss never comes to life for me at all. I'll bet the best mix would be the US moss on the bottom and the top in NZ moss...

hmm maybe I'll try that...!

Back