What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Episode 2

• Thread starter RamPuppy
  • Start date

RamPuppy

This is going to be a very short post. It is 3
wow.gif
0 in the morning and I just returned from my FIRST viewing of Star Wars Episode 2 : Attack of the clones.

Oh My Gosh...

Mr. Lucas, Kudos to you for making quite possibly the best sci-fi movie I have ever seen.

I am so glad I got to be at the first viewing, 12
wow.gif
1 AM.

This movie rocks. You must see it. If you have seen a Star Wars movie, then you must see this movie!

Reactions certainly have been one way or the other on this one. That's better than Ep 1, which got either hatred or apologies.

Is it OK for a five or six-year-old, do you think?

I stood in line to see the original back in the Cambrian Age. Still remember the excitement--wow! What a thrilling picture!

--STeve

Is it ok for a kid to see?

Heck Yes. The Amidala/Anakin romance is handled with absolute taste, there is not a single cuss word, hint of secual inuendo, or really anything like that... well...

There is one scene during a early plot point you see a woman in a G-String from behind, also wearing fishnets... it's only on screen for about 3 seconds... and other than that, you deal with the occasional loping of limbs from the body ala light saber.

Incredible...

On 3 hours of sleep I am up and running for the day... pumped.
smile.gif

Thanks, Ram! You *are* pumped!!

Mostly-exposed butts my boy will just laugh at. As I get older, I'm finding them funnier, too.

I'm kind of concerned about any implied slaughter of children or loss of primary loved ones that might occur. A little violence of any other sort is OK with both of us.

He insists I call him Luke and imitate Darth Vader all the time. Our lightsaber battles are the stuff of legend.

--Steve

Stevo - I am replying through messenger so as not to spoil anyone.

I saw it today and it wasn't as good as you describe.

Well, it didn't suck, which is all we could really hope for.

Not as good in your opinion.

I liked it, and plan on seeing it a few more times.

I've seen a lot of reviews that all say it's better than Episode 1 but not very high scores, but i'll see it anyway over the weekend. The one comment thats common in all reviews are that the visuals are excellent.

Wow Ram! Your gonna see it a few more times? I'd rather save my money and just buy the DVD, but I assume your still going to buy it too.

I haven't seen it but I heard a review of it on the radio this morning. It wasnt that good. The scene at the end got praise but he said the love story line was awful and the actor was terrible. He didn't trash the movie as a whole but said it wasn't as good as other ones. I have to confess I only saw the first one. It was great...I am old. lol Long live Luke Skywalker and Princess Laia (sp?). Are they still alive?

Suzanne

Saw it today and had a blast!
People are way too critical it seems.
Just like in any movie--there are parts that are cheesy and parts that smoke your mind(etc.etc.etc.)---and that holds true for EP. 2.
My &#36.02
-peace
Eric

Do any of you EVER listen to critics? I don't know about the ones in your home town, but here, if our guy Bob Polunski says it sucks, the city runs out and buys tickets.

He's in it for the art, we just wanna have fun.

Episode 2 is programmed to the Star Wars fan, naturally, if you are not a fan of the franchise, I think you will have a good time, but if you are, your gonna love the scenes where charachters make good on their potential.

As for Haden Christiansen being a bad actor, I have to disagree, same with portman, Lucas is not the best dialouge writer there has ever been. Starwars was oritionally written as a Saturday Afternoon Matinee *INSERT CAMP HERE* The only reason the dialouge was better here is because he brought in a script doctor, but how much can you do when you have 3 movies to tell a story that everyone already knows? He's gotta make it fresh some how...

Yes, the love scenes were a little campy, but they got the job done, on top of that however, more importantly, they showed you that Anakin Skywalker already has a smidgen of the dark side running through him... and THAT was the entire point of the movie.

Shaggy, I am glad at least some other person out there likes the movie! I was honestly shocked at all the negative responses here, i know about 30 guys who went to see it yesterday and they all came back saying it was awesome... not a single one of them said it sucked.. go figure...

Yeah, can't judge a movie until you see it. I'm going to see it this weekend. I've also heard that the loves scenes were horrible as well, and it seemed like it was awkward for Haden Christiansen. But it's this guys first movie (I think?) give him a break!

Most Star Wars fans give it positive and the bad reviews are mostly from non-fans. I just hope it's better than Episode I (which I thought was really bad).

episode 1 was absolutely horrid. I am ashamed I own the dvd, but my wife bought it for me... Oh well, what can you do!
smile.gif

Haden Christiansen's first movie I think, was "Life is a House" He suprisingly, palyed a very similar role, brooding teenager.
The love seens were akward.

Remember this, Star Wars a New hope was targeted towards 12 year old boys, as was The Empire Strikes Back, And Return of the Jedi, it is only natural that the new movies be targeted towards the same age group, to maintain continuity in the way the story is told. the thing is, the origional fanbase is in it's late twenties, early 30's now, and the movies are different, because WE are different.

You just can't go to the movies expecting them to make you feel like you did when you were 10, you have to go in, take off your 'adult hat', absolve yourself of 'high falutin plot expectations' and just be willing to be entertained by a great picture book. That is basically what it comes down to.

Ram's comment explains many of the problems with Ep 1, and they are all demographically-oriented.

For example, why does Ep. 1 open with the Jedi and not Anakin? Why not follow the boy's plotline, which has all sorts of potential in terms of pacing and continuity? Having events intrude on him and involve him eliminates much of the original's awkward plotting.

One big reason is that it would be very hard to get the audience of young boys and girls to understand the transformation of the major character in the next movie if they identify so completely with the heroic young boy. Lucas wants to *portray* a tragedy, not create a really effective one--he doesn't want the kids bawling and confused, wondering what this means for their own futures.

None of this is a condemnation. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

--Steve

I'm 13 (I guess the target age of the movie) and am sorry to say that I can only give the movie 3 and 3/4 stars (out of 5 lol). The last scene(s) did however pull the whole movie together. All in all the graphics were as good as I was expecting if not better and there was a real plot which was REALLLLLLY easy to follow but it lacked something (I don't know exactly what) that the originals had. Maybe I expected too much after loving the last three in the series. Oh well... still worth seeing and not a bad movie! :smile:

hello! im back (havenet been here ina while any one thats new) and i plan to see star wars tomorrow. i was going to see it on opening day but ya know things happen. anyways i aslready know what happens because everyone i know has seen it and told me everything. im not planing on saying any thing but THANK GOD THEY MINIMIZED JAR-JARS PART! i heard the love sceens were horible( as every one has said). oh and did you know( this isnt in the movie) that anikins mom had an afair with another person. ill tell you the details later see ya!

omg, ram, the 1st episode i thought was better than the second, i just came back, the second was awsome

and i must say,

Queen Amidala aka Padme, omg, she was so HOT!!!!

and anikin reminds me of my self, very short tempered and he thinks that he can do everything without a problem and same with me, and also has a godo taste in a girl =D and also doing stuff without thinking
tounge.gif

(Edited by Stefano1 at 11
wow.gif
9 pm on May 18, 2002)

stefano1, i thought we werent spoiling it for anyone?!?

Hahahaha, a couple of friends went to the movies, but half of us saw the new kid, and half saw star wars. I have to admit New Kid is pretty funny.

Back