What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overseas trading

Can anyone tell me what needs to be done to send a plant (Sarracenia) from the UK to America? Ive never really tried a proper international trade before and was wondering how I should go about it or where I can get the proper info.

Many thanks,
Richard.

Hey Richard,
The only overseas trading I've done to date is sending(and happily receiving) seed to fatboy in Indonesia. I got mine alright, and I'm awaiting his confirmation on whether he gets his seed from me. I didn't do anything ususual, so I hope I didn't do anything illegal for that reason:), ie I hope I don't need some sort of permit or certificate. It may differ from country to country, as I'm in the U.S.
Hopefully, someone who does know will reply to this.
Chris

The plant would need to be inspected for pests and diseases and then a phytosanitary certificate is issued. You may need a CITES permit (not sure if Sarracenia is listed on CITES or not). The person who is receiving the plant should send you a green/yellow import sticker to put on the package.
Tony

Tony, is that only for a plant, not seed? If not, I've already broken a few laws!

Oh and I think just S. oreophila, rubra ssp. alabamensis, and possibly rubra ssp. jonesii are CITES listed.
Chris

(Edited by Dionaea Enthusiast at 5:56 am on Jan. 21, 2002)

I have not dealt with seed but if I recall correctly...Phytosanitary certificate is for plant material, not seed. CITES applies to plant material and seeds I think..
Tony

11.       In accordance with Article I, paragraph b, sub-paragraph (iii),
         of the Convention, the symbol (#) followed by a number placed
         against the name of a species or higher taxon included in

Appendix II designates parts or derivatives which are specified
         in relation thereto for the purposes of the Convention as
         follows:

#1    Designates all parts and derivatives, except:
         a)     seeds, spores and pollen (including pollinia); and
         b)     tissue cultures and flasked seedling cultures

Source: http://www.wcmc.org.uk/igcmc/convent/cites/cn_appx.html

To the best of my understanding, it appears that CITES does not cover seeds. Its possible I was confused by the technical mumbo-jumbo, so read for yourself.

Pat

You should be able to get it out of the UK no problem, but I don't know about American customs. You might want to try sending a Sarracenia seedling first and seeing if that goes ok.

I am probably mistaken on CITES for seed from appendix II plants. I will have a look at it later today.
T

I'm Sure little bits can be sent/recieved no problem, but I was planning on sending something a little larger!
Where would I get the plants inspected? Do the same people issue the phytosanitary certificate? ?
Suppose this is gonna be more tricky than its worth!!

All Sarracenia are on CITES. The three mentioned above are on CITES I, whereas the rest are on CITES II. Any plant material needs phytosanitary certificates from the country of origin as well as CITES permits. Getting permits for CITES II plants is fairly straightforward, but can take some time and will cost you, as will phytosanitary certificates. CITES I plants are much more difficult to get permits for. It is much easier if they have been tissue cultured. Seeds are exempt from CITES II restrictions, but I think CITES I seeds are still covered. This is why I only sent plants within Europe, as you don't generally need any documentation. And yes, if you have been sending plants abroad without all the required documentation you have been breaking the law. A lot of people do it, but it doesn't make it right.

Back