What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mosquitoes in water supply

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
I have two rain barrels setup and the lids have been on during times of no rain in hopes to keep mosquitoes from breeding in the water. However, I noticed today several hunderd larvea swimming around. Does anyone know of a way to kill off the mosquitoes but not kill the plants I use the water on? Right now I am using the water mainly for Sarracenia, Dionaea, and Drosera. I have also used it on occasion on my Nepenthes.

Thanks

Hi Nick, I had the same problem and simply streched a piece of plastic window screen over the opening. The skeeters can't get in to lay eggs and the existing larvae can't get out to mature...course that problem will end for you about November...you will be chopping ice to get to the water then.
confused.gif
smile.gif

Try tossing in some triops eggs.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Darcie @ July 28 2003,11:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Try tossing in some triops eggs.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Maybe not such a good idea... they're bottom feeders.

Triops info.

Maybe go to your local pet store and buy a few feeder fish.

I have an idea about this, but it may be totally off-base.

Mosquito larvae are air-breathing. So, my idea would be to pour a small amount of vegetable oil in the barrel, enough to cover the top. After the larvae die off, skim the oil out and you're set! I know they kill huge infestations of mosquitos in ponds this way, but I don't know how hard it would be to remove the oil when you're done.

Capslock

I use those "Mosquito Dunks" and have not had any ill effects on my plants.

Wild Bill

I have 3 55-gallon barrels. I bought 12 guppies and put 4 in each barrel. I didn't notice right away any effect. But after about two weeks I notice a large reduction of larvae. I guess that the larvae that was already in the barrels were too big for the guppies to eat, but they munched on the younger ones. I saw some of the guppies try to take a bite out of the large larvae but I never saw them successfully eat them. There is a side benefit. Guppies also eat algae. I would caution anybody before they try to put fish in their water supply. I did this as a test. First to get rid of the mosquito's and second to see if the guppies would make the water too mineral rich. I still don't know what effect they will have on the water, I've had them in the barrels for about 2 months. So far there's no ill effect on my plants. I guess it would also depend on the size of the rain barrel. I only have 4 fish per 55-gallon barrel. I don't think that 4 fish will put too many minerals in the barrel for one summer. I plan on cleaning the barrel out at the end of the summer to remove any buildup.

i usually a fish net with very very very small holes and just skimmed the mosquito larvae out when i water my plant , or i just don't care and water my plants anyways and let the larvae squirm arounf on top of the soil until they die , and sometime when i water my dews , they get stuck to the leaves . although i reallt like the guppie idea but when the fish crap they might put minerals in as ozzy said and moaquto dunks .

Back