What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help!

please help. today i noticed that a few of my house plants have "visitors" in the form of little white bugs, about 2mm long, with a bunch of legs like a centipede. any idea what they are? how should i get rid of them?
thankfully, none of my cp's are infected.

thanks,
technoracer

These sound like mealy bug. I remove them with a swab dipped in alcohol. They colonize quickly, and your affected lant should be isolated from any others. Frequent checking is in order as eggs will hatch. The process should repeated weekly. These are nasty bugs, and they can also hide in the root ball: if it is a truly dear plant, and the infection is bad, you might want to consider repotting from bare root.

Do they look tiny and white, with some black ones mixed in? I think I have those on a Pinguicula of mine. I thuroughly washed it under some runnuing water and repotted it, but they still came back. Their gross looking to. Are there any pestacides that kill the bugs and their eggs?

remove with a cotton swab? no way. there is dozens, maybe hundreds of them. like i said, they are tiny, and if i mist the soil, they just start running and jumping around, lokng for cover. i haven't seen any black ones yet. i thought about submersing the whole pot in water for awhile (outside, so they don't just infest another one of my plants), but it' all of 35 deg here and i don't want to freeze them do death (the plants).
they're not really special plants, but my mom did give me one of them (a shefalarea, sp?). i have moved them to another part of the house, so they don't infect anything else. hopefully the "cool" garden center is open friday, so i can pick up something to kill the little bugers!

keep those thoughts comming!

peace,

technoacer,
bug killer this friday

Back