What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which CPs do cats eat?

Hi all,
I've got a friend that I would like to introduce to cps. She has two cats, and they like chomping on plants. Ferns in particular. She'll be growing them inside (with the cats) in the Sacramento, CA area. I'm thinking that vfts, drosera, and pings would be a good start for her. Does anyone know if cats like or dislike any of these plants?

I can tell you that cats will eat/prod whatever they feel like and there is no rhyme or reason to it. My cat ate my U. humboldtii but as left all my other Utrisc alone. She pulled up the same 3 palnts out of my Mexi-Pings set up on a regular basis but left the remainder untouched. She loves rubbing against my bro-in-law's capensis but hates his spatulata.

I would suggest that she try and avoid anything with pendulous leaves as they make good play things. Don't be suprised if she goes after the new plant.

Pyro

Mine seems to have developed a very annoying need to eat my d spathulata and spend all of her alone time, while I'm gone, in my bed room because of it
mad.gif

Darn stinky cat!!
sad.gif
mad.gif
BAD KITTY!!!
mad.gif

Yeah, I guess you're all correct. Never had a cat, so I wouldn't know but I did have a rat that really liked chewing on concrete blocks
confused.gif

She'll be getting a sarr seedling, d.capensis seeds, and a green dragon vft. Hopefully the sarr will be okay outside, had plenty of cap seeds so something should survive...and the green vft will be okay covered in a cup until it's bigger.

biggrin.gif

Yay! Another newbie will be in the forums soon!

Cats have an instinct to eat rare and expensive plants. Or just the ones you like the most. I have five cats and if I let any of them in my room they go straight for the plants.(only if they think there's no one near by)

Back