What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Well, I am still adjusting to our new puppy. We have had her for about a month now and she has just turned 7 months of age. She hasn't really done any damage to any of my plants, although she did try to run off with a pot of unknown Sarracenia.

Now, to get to how the dog/puppy attracts insects for cps.

Our dog has a habit of wanting to find the perfect place to use the restroom outdoors. She started out close to the house and then moved as far away as possible and has slowly returned closer to the house. Doing so, she has left a few piles around my carnivorous plant collection. Although I was not thrilled to have this type of pile in an area a visit daily, I have found it to be a nice benefit for my collection.

It seems that a large number of flies has found these piles to be a nice source of food during the day. However, after they get somewhat board with the pile or need to take a break, they find themselves drawn to my collection of Sarracenia, and Dionaea. Before she started leaving these piles, my large vft would capture about 2 large flies a week. Now, the plant has all its traps closed and those that open soon are closed again with a nice juicy fly. This has gone on for a few weeks now. My Sarracenia are also doing well because of this. I have two S. purpurea ssp. venosa that have a few smaller traps that are so full, the insects actually walk out and fly away, to a not so full trap
smile.gif
. I have several pitchers of S. x Judith Hindle and S. leucophylla 'Tarnok' that have fallen over due to the weight of the dead insects traped.

I know... eww!
confused.gif

hmm, my dogs poop must be weird cus its not atracting flies lol

i dont think we have any flies down here, the ocasional flie is very rare where i live, its weird lol

I'm very pleased for you...somehow
rolleyes.gif
( Dog poop isn't really pleasin - is it?&#33
wink.gif

Back