What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
A couple of us have desided to make a trip to two bogs in Ohio. One is located in Wayne County and the other in Stark County. There will probably be about an hours drive between the two bogs. Carnivorous plants to see are Sarracenia purpurea and Drosera rotundifolia.

This trip will probably take place in April or early May and will be on Saturday or Sunday. I believe Saturday would be best. We would like to arrive to see the plants in flower. I am not sure how we will meet for the trip, but it will probably be at a park or other public area near the Wayne County Bog. I will admit, I just sniff my way to the bog. I never remember the exact directions
wink.gif
. However, I have been there at last 4 times so I must know something about its location
smile.gif

Things to bring on the visit:

Camera

Magnifying glass

Binoculars

Notepad and pen ( just in case you want to write something down )

Something to drink and maybe a snack.

Boots in case it rains ( there are boardwalks, but you have to walk down a trail to get to them ).

I have never gotten dirty on my trips. I have never taken and extra change of clothing. This is mainly because you are limited to the boardwalk once you get into the bog. No sphagnum walking.

Oh... an no taking of plants or seeds. Although a sign is posted at one of the bogs saying permission is needed, I will tell you this... You will not get it! I already tried to get permission to collect a few seeds. I was told I could not. So that is that.

Anyway, if anyone located in Ohio, or the surrounding area, would like to go on this bog trip, please just post your info here. I am located in Findlay, Ohio and the drive is 2+ hours for me.

Edited 3/10/2003 10
wow.gif
3PM EST

Here is a sample of the plants growing in the area. I took this pictures last fall.

DroseraRotundifolia.jpg

SpurpureaRedForm.jpg

SpurpureaClump1.jpg

you know, nick, we really do need to get this all worked out...

as an fyi, the bog in stark county is located in jackson township, about 15 min from I-77, RT 30, and RT 21.  there is plenty of places to eat within 10min from the jackson bog, and there are quite a few hotels and places to do some shopping (if that means anything to you).  if your a football fan, the pro football hall of fame is located nearby in canton, ohio.

jackson township is located north of massillon and south of green, near rt30, rt21, and i77.

i have thursday and friday off this week (gotta love paid vacation days&#33
wink.gif
, i think i'll stop in at my old high school and chit chat with the hort instructor (he and i have a little bit of "history" and the school board owns the land where the bog is located).

jackson bog info: http://www.ohiodnr.com/dnap/location/jackson_bog.html

brown's lake bog info: http://www.ohiodnr.com/dnap/location/browns_lake_bog.html

peace,
brian
the technoracer

Count me in.
Nick contact me if you need any info from me or if there is anything I can do to help you plan or carry this out.
If you are interested in seeing a few more bogs, I know of a few other places in the area but I have never been to them.

If I can shake free I will be happy to come along - I will be in the mountains for a couple of weeks in April but free in May (I hope).

I am also getting the information for the annual open day at Cranberry Bog at Jackson Lake, only allowed on the island 1 day a year t see the CPs.

Cheers

I have been wanting to go to Cranberry Island for a couple of years, but I haven't made it there yet.The story of Cranberry Island really interesting, it's a mat of floating sphagnum. I'll see if I can find the link about it and post it here later.

I haven't heard from you guys about this lately, Are you still planning this trip?

Well, I suppose I'm interested in going. Let me know when it will be. I'm in Erie, Pennsylvania, so I might be able to make the drive, if it is in April or early May (though after that, I will probably be moving elsewhere). Thanks.

Okay I am in but I can only make it to the The one in Michigan since I live there. Were in Michigan will it be and can you tell us maybe when it will be, I would think maybe in May it will be more sunny and less chance of rain and plants will look more colorful. PM me more information. Thanx
biggrin.gif

ozzy,
yes, nick and i are still working on this. i just sent him a pm today about it.

for everyone,
if you have any thoughts or comments, ideas, wishes or dreams, about this trip, please feel free to post it, or pm/email one of us. i have never been to either of these bogs, so this will be a unique oppurtunity for me to witness cp's growing in their natural environment. i'd love to make this a meet and greet with fellow members, and would like to make this an ongoing event.

thanks,
brian
ttr

As a correction to my earlier post - Cranberry Bog is at Buckeye Lake - located east of Columbus off Interstate 70. They only allow the public (and limit the numbers) out 1 day a year - all I know so far is late June, once I get the exact day I will post it. they are talking about needing reservations so decisions will have to be made then.

cheers

I will give them another call this week and see what I can find out. I missed it last year and talked to them about a permit, but you have to provide your own boat over and it can only be when a ranger is already scheduled to be there and for a limited time period. Doable but very restricted.

Cheers

Nick, technoracer, and pthiel,
Remember I said I'll be glad to help anyway I can. I live about half way between both bogs, so for the guys that come down I-90 from Toledo or Erie, this may be a good staggering point.
I also know of other bogs that's close to the one in Stark co. If you want to visit theses I'll get the info.
If there's anything I can do to help just let me know.
Mark

Ozzy,

Yes, we would be interested in the other bogs as well. Still working out things on the trip.

Feel free to email me from this site.

Dates that I am available Saturday and Sunday:

April 12-13
April 26-27
May 10-11
May 24-25

Hello everyone,

Where is the bog in Stark County? I used to live in Cuyahoga County.

I'm thinking of making the trip depending on what dates are selected. I will be coming from North of Detriot near Flint.

Keep posting the details or send me a PM when the details are sorted out.

Thanks Glenn

This will be a one day trip taking place on either Saturday or Sunday. Below are dates that I can make it either day.

April 12-13
April 26-27
May 10-11
May 24-25

The Bog in Shreve, Ohio is closer to me than the Jackson Bog. Jackson Bog also has picnic areas that the Shreve Bog lacks.

If you are interested in going, please select the date or dates that you will be able to come and the bog that you are closest to. If you follow the links, you will find a link to the Jackson Bog. Use the links on the Jackson Bog page to find Brown's Bog. Brown's Bog is the bog in Shreve, Ohio.

Bog in Shreve.

Jackson Bog.

According to Maps On Us, I am about 2 hrs, 15 mins from Shreve and 2 hrs, 33 mins from the Jackson Bog.

We can either meet in the middle somewhere and then go to Jackson Bog, eat, and then go to Shreve, or to Shreve, Jackson Bog to eat, then to view Jackson Bog.

I think the later dates will work out the best as new growth will be seen. I believe the S. purpurea will be in flower in May. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I have never seen any carnivorous plant flowering in nature. I have only seen the ripe seed pods in the fall.

Any of these dates will be ok with me.
I'm less than 1 1/2 hours away from both sites.

I can come on any weekend, i can PROBABLY come. message me when the date is resolved.

Back