What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nikon coolpix 4300 and minolta s414

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Anyone using the Nikon Coolpix 4300 digital camera? I am looking at getting it or a Minolta S414. Any thoughts on the cameras would be welcome.

Both are 4MP cameras. I have started doing more digital photography with my cps and my 1MP with no zoom is just not cutting it anymore.

Thanks,

Nick

I have a coolpix 990 and it does a super job for me.  I would gather the 4300 should be even that much better.

The 990 is capable of very close macro focus.

Tony

I have the Nikon coolpix 4500 and absolutely love it

Jeremiah

Thanks for the replies. I have a Nikon Coolpix 4300 on its way. The 4500 would be nice, but its just out of my price range.

Well, my new camera should get here earlier than expected. I was told to wait up to 10 days for delivery. Turns out it will be here on June, 25th. I am very excited. I may just have to run out to a bog and take photos just to see if it works.

smile.gif

You better... we're all expecting photos post haste.
smile.gif

Probably to late, but I have a Minolta Dimage 7 and it kicks some serious @#*. I purchased it off line looking on the site my simon. Got it for at least 300 cheaper.

Personally, if you're going to spend a bunch of money on a camera, get one you will keep a while with plenty of functionality. I use the Cannon G5 and believe it or not all the manual functions do come in handy even on a digital.

joe

I would love to go for a 5MP camera, but the price difference is just to great at this time. The Nikon 4300 is going for $368 with shipping and the Canon G5 is going for $730 with shipping. The Nikon does have some manual controls.

Thanks for all the replies. It has been very helpful.

I certainly understand, I waited quite a while in order to get a good camera. the main difference between cameras in the 4-5mp range isn't the last mega pixal but the features. the G5 allows total control over aperature, shutter speed, focus, manual color balance, manual flash level control, manual ISO film speed setting....yada..yada... basically it is the same as a professional 35mm except without the SRL that you really don't need on a digital. I paid out the butt for this camera and it still hurts but I fully believe it was worth the extra wait.

also when you pay this much you get cool stuff, built in movie editing software, 4x optical zoom, ability to attach lenses, remote control, Li-Pol battery, and darn good pic quality.

Of course anyone that reads this and thinks whatever, I don't want to deal with that stuff, the S series cannons are also excellent for the point and shooter.

joe

I would love to have a camera with more features. My goal was to find a camera in the $300-$400 range. Well, I originally started out looking for a 3 MP to replace my current 1 MP camera. The 3 MP were down in the $200 - $300 range.

With the S414, I had read that it would use 37mm lenses, I have a couple close-up 37mm lenses for my Epson camera and was hoping to use them on the Minolta S414. However, I did not come across much information on how to do this other than by using and adapter. This would make the camera more expensive. I looked into extra lenses for the S414 like wide angle and telephoto and the cost would make the camera even more. With the Nikon Coolpix 4300, I cannot use my current lenses without an adapter, but I have found that that telephoto and wide angle lenses can be had for a lower price than those on the Minolta. This made the camera more attractive.

The Nikon also has the ability to take some video without audio. The Minolta did not seem to have a video feature that could do more than 1.6fps. The Nikon can do 15fps. I thought this would be handy for recording insects being caputured by cps.

The Nikon also allows for manual setting of shutter speed, focus, ISO sensitivity, and several other options.

When I started out looking at these two cameras, they was about a $100 difference between the two. Towards the end of my search for best price/features, I was able to narrow that gap to about $30 making both cameras in my $300-$400 price range.

Nick,
That 4300 is one cool looking camera! Be sure to take lotsa pics when you receive it and post em up asap
smile.gif

5 megapixels is TOTALLY un-necessary..
if you are looking to buy a 5 MP camera over a 3 MP camera, and are looking at MP alone, get the 3!
5 megapixels is only usefull if you are going to create poster-sized prints! and almost no one does..

3 megapixels will create a photo-quality 8X10 print..you cant tell the difference from film..5 megapixels gains you nothing but larger file sizes, which you dont need or want.

Cameras keep going up in megapixel size just because they can, and because "the public" thinks "ohh! 5 megapixel MUST be better than 3 megapixel right?! more is always better right?!"

nope..5 megapixel is a total waste of money and storage space..digital cameras reached full functionality for 99.9% of average photographers with 3MP..
you only need more than 3 if you are Pro photographer, want to create HUGE prints, or are in graphic design..

it is IMPOSSIBLE to tell the difference between 3mp and 5mp on a 4x6 or 8x10 print..the only difference is the 5mp image will have a much larger file size..the difference in quality is invisible to the eye..

if you want to create nice 4X6 (or even 8X10) prints of your CPs and have nice photos to show on-line, anything more than 3MP is a waste..you simply dont need it.

just something to think about when camera shopping!
smile.gif

Scot

Nick, sounds like you've pretty much got it worked out. I didn't have any lenses that I needed to match so that wasn't an issue when I was shopping. I'm hoping cannon comes out with an adapter to connect another lense series onto the G series cameras other than the one they have. I just can't see paying 200 dollars to go from 140mm to 280mm. However, it's good to know I'm not the only one that spends hours researching every purchase.

Make sure you get a huge memory card, 15fps for 3min is about 50 megs with audio.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (scottychaos @ June 25 2003,12:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">5 megapixels is TOTALLY un-necessary..
if you are looking to buy a 5 MP camera over a 3 MP camera, and are looking at MP alone, get the 3!
5 megapixels is only usefull if you are going to create poster-sized prints! and almost no one does..

3 megapixels will create a photo-quality 8X10 print..you cant tell the difference from film..5 megapixels gains you nothing but larger file sizes, which you dont need or want.

Cameras keep going up in megapixel size just because they can, and because "the public" thinks "ohh! 5 megapixel MUST be better than 3 megapixel right?! more is always better right?!"

nope..5 megapixel is a total waste of money and storage space..digital cameras reached full functionality for 99.9% of average photographers with 3MP..
you only need more than 3 if you are Pro photographer, want to create HUGE prints, or are in graphic design..

it is IMPOSSIBLE to tell the difference between 3mp and 5mp on a 4x6 or 8x10 print..the only difference is the 5mp image will have a much larger file size..the difference in quality is invisible to the eye..

if you want to create nice 4X6 (or even 8X10) prints of your CPs and have nice photos to show on-line, anything more than 3MP is a waste..you simply dont need it.

just something to think about when camera shopping!
smile.gif

Scot[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Not entirely true... the 5MP camera will allow you to crop much tighter and then resize and still have good resolution. Other than that though... I have printed really nice 8X10's with a 2 MP camera. I think with my 4 MP camera I could probably go 20X30. That's big man!

Scot,
A 5 megapixel is not totally unnecessary. For most occasions, a 3 is perfect, but sometimes you just need more. A 4x6 print from a 3 or 5 is pretty much indistinguishable since the picture from both will need to be resized down. But I would never print an 8x10 from a 3 megapixel image. A 5 megapixel can barely print an 8x10. Note: I print all my images at 300dpi, I will not print at anything less. When it comes to photos, quality is everything.

larry, have you tried letting photoshop bicubic interpolate for you?  I've heard it works but my printer only does up to 8x10 so I can't tell the difference, saturated both ways. (o' how I yearn for a large format printer)

joe

larry, 300 is also my favorite number. However a 7 mp camera is just too darn expensive (sigh) for shooting 8x10s because they only come in SRL. Although I only get 260 dpi at 5mp I find that it is moderately acceptable for the price.

Anyone know of a way to make the ink last longer, such as a UV coating?

joe

ok, what are the differences between these, except looks and zoom
tounge.gif
?
coolpix-4300.jpg

nikon-cp-4500-i1.jpg

I like the 4500, I think I'll have to save up for it
biggrin.gif

Back