What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alternative food sources

Yes it does work!! My friend did one once I think he still has it going. But where do you get the flies first? I'd do one but where do ya get the flies from? Anyways you take a 2 liter soda bottle cut the top of it cleanly off so there is living space for the flies and KEEP THE CAP YOU NEED IT! then place your friut in the bottom then take the cap and drill some really tiny holes in it. Approximitly 3 holes. Then put the cap back on and turn the top upside down so the flies will enter from the inside of the cap then when this is inserted upside down it naturaly forms a seal from the cut edges so the flies cannot escape.

Theoretically you'd put it by a trach can outside and the nasty things living in the trash would be attracted to the fruit you 'sacrificed' to them. I'll try it when the weather warms up.
Chris

I can find fruit fly starter cultures in my area at most pet stores especially PetCo. They come in tubes with "blue goo" at the bottom. Try to get the culture with Drosophila Melangaster, because these take less time to mature than Drosophila Hydae(spelling incorrect). The stores usually carry the wingless kind and sometimes the short winged kind.

The fruit has to be rotten for the yeast to grow and the fruit flies to grow and breed. I've heard that real fruits produce and stops producing large numbers of fruit flies in a very short time period. I'll try something that will last longer than fruits.

when you give the egg white to cps do you give it to them raw or cooked?

I wouldn't recommend feeding egg white to cp at all, personally. There are much better cp foods out there.
Chris

Back