What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tray or not to tray?

As some of you know I have a 10 terrarium and have several plants inside. Do vft's and sundews need the tray method? The trays in my terrarium take up room and by removing them would give more free space in my terrarium. If you do not have trays in your terrarium could you give me some tips on your watering methods. Thanks.

Travis

well when I had a terrarium I used the tray method for water and humidity. Althouh I just filled the bottom of the terrarium with about 1 inch of water and just left them in there. It doesnt take up any room. And if you have plants that dont want the tray method just stick a pot upside down in there and put the pot on top.

Jut my method
Mike

I suppose I could fill the tank up about an inch or so. How about the algae? Thanks for the suggestion Sarracenia0.
smile.gif

I've never used terrariums, I've always used the tray method for one and all. If I didn't use the tray and keep water in them the plants would dry up and die in just a few short hours. A 1 gallon bucket of water will dry up completely in just 7-10 days if I don't cover it, and that is in a small room with a humidifier running 24/7/365. Considering the rate that water is lost from the trays I figure that the plants are able to utilize very little of the water used.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Travis @ April 11 2003,01:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I suppose I could fill the tank up about an inch or so. How about the algae?  Thanks for the suggestion Sarracenia0.
smile.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Algea is nothing when compaired to water mold.... Anyhow, let the water evaporate 100% befor refilling, however much you use it should be non-used up for at least 3 days no more then 7. Refill after the terrarium floor is dry for 24 hours (assumeing your air is somewhat humid) (if open) or... I think my closed one is every 3 weeks, but don't quote me on that. Oh yah, and for closed ones, let the pots get saturated in the tray then poor a little puttle on the terrarium floor, put the plants in and close, that keeps the humidity nice and consistent for a while without turning the tank into a cesspool, lol. For my vented terrarium, I treat it like it is closed, but add a puddle every 4-5 days.

I am not sure if that would work having water in my tank? The pitchers on my ventricosa are touching the bottom of the tank. Having water sitting in the tank may kill the pitchers prematurely laying on the ground??? .

well I use the tray method for my plants, what I do is take 1 tray large enough for about 4 pots, and make sure all the plants have the same water requirement, such as i put my N. Ventricosa, and 2 N. Ventrata in it, along with one of my mexican butterworts. Then others i get a tray that fits thier pot perfectly, and this can take some time to find the right ones. Hope you have good luck,
Kevin

confused.gif
I am confused on what to do
confused.gif
.  I am thinking of cutting my nep and getting rid of it. It takes up to much room. Since I have the nep in an 8' inch pot and it takes over half of the terrarium.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Travis @ April 11 2003,07:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
confused.gif
I am confused on what to do
confused.gif
.  I am thinking of cutting my nep and getting rid of it. It takes up to much room. Since I have the nep in an 8' inch pot and it takes over half of the terrarium.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Are you talking about your N. ventricosa?  If so why don't you try growing it like a regular houseplant.  They are pretty tolerant of low humidity if adjusted to it gradually.  If you need extra humidity then a humidifier for the room will work or you can set the pot on a tray with gravel in it.  Fill the tray with water to just below the top of the gravel layer.  The water provides humidity as it evaporates and the gravel keeps the pot from setting in water all the time.

If you decide to mow it down, you can start cuttings to trade for other plants and keep a piece to start a new plant for yourself.

How long do I have to give it to adjust outside the terrarium? A week, 2 weeks, a Month? If it starts to die I will trade the cuttings. Thanks for that idea BCK.

Travis

How long it will actually take depends on the conditions around the plant, but I would aim for at least two weeks. The more time the leaves have to adapt to the drier air, the less likely the plant will be to get stressed and quit pitchering. Keep an eye on it and it will tell you if it's ready to go on to spend more time in slightly drier air or if it needs to take a step back to more humid air. Don't rush it if you can avoid it and you will have a happier plant.

Thanks BCK I will give it a shot. I recently purchased a humidifier so it should help with the change. Spring is also here which means more humidity in the house.

Travis

My ventricosa is outgrowing it's home too. I don't think you need to worry about it dieing, just going pitchureless for a while from the shift
wink.gif

well, I have just planted the entire tank...

I'll see if I can take a picture tomorrow and show it to you guys... it's starting to look pretty nice again. (dried out around christmas and decimated the population)

Even though my cephs and adaleas and capes are gone, the nepenthes are what really matter to me and are all pitchering well now. few more weeks and it will be amazing.

Rampuppy:
That would be sweet if you could post a picture of your tank
smile.gif

Darcie and BCK:
I don't think you need to worry about it dieing, just going pitchureless for a while from the shift
BINGO!!! The other thing is I do not have good lighting around my place? My nep. ventricosa is so healthy and happy.  I have started the process of moving it outside the tank.  

Seeing ants dieing is Truly Priceless!

Travis

Edit:
What is the deal with the QUOTE it does not work for me?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the shift<span id='postcolor'>
Should have a ' / ' before the word QUOTE so that it reads:  the shift[/QUOTE].

Back