What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whatzzz Up!

I started about 5 years ago. My life had been a little slow, having graduated from university but not yet found a job. Being prone to odd and obsessive hobbies, I had been messing around with plants - ordering exotic seeds, growing avocados and pineapples, botanizing my neighborhood, and reading old houseplant books.

I bought that first VFT assuming it would eventually die, but thinking it might be fun to watch for a while - tease, feed stuff to etc. But a few days later the fateful event occurred - I came accross a copy of Adrian Slack's "Insect-eating plants and how to grow them". I still remember the feeling of excitement when I began to realize that my VFT may not be on death row after all. Instead of the palliative care that my other house plant books had recommended, it actually explained how to make the plant thrive.

The VFT was followed by an S. leucophylla that mysteriously appeared in the water garden section of my local nursery, and an S. rubra and Utricularia sandersonii ordered by mail from the US.

When it arrived, the utric was squashed into a plastic bag, had only a few leaves, and was infested with irish moss (which to the untrained eye is almost indisgishable from a utric). But with lots of nursing and close attention it eventually flowered, and I was really impressed.

Of course as I was genetically predisposed to odd hobbies (my grandfather was a pioneer of radio controlled cars and planes, and my mother knits like a woman possessed) it couldn't possibly have stopped there. I now have several dozen species of bladderwort, as well as the VFT and sarrs I started with and some others I have met on the way.

And I lived happily ever after.

I am from the Tamlin, greencrunch generation of 'old days' (pre-internet). Got in young when a high school teacher who was a grower taught us about them in school, led to a pretty good collection for the times, but then I lost them all in a flood. I then spent too long in the military and did get an opportunity to see alot of the plants in the wild in various parts of the world, but never actually being settled could not grow any myself.

Now older I got back into them, around 3 years ago. Luckily I am in the internet business so ran across lots of useful information, met alot of amazing people and have found the cp community to be made up of some of the nicest people you could ever want to meet. Even the 'Icons' of the CP World are mostly very nice and patient with what has to be ignorant questions to them.

Love the hobby and the people, plan on being in it for a while this time around.

Cheers.

Well,

You all know how it has ended ( so far )
smile.gif

I got into CP's only a few years ago ( believe it or not ). Phil and I were thinking about opening a store online, selling things that we thought were cool. Well, one of the things was VFT's ( typical ).
At that point, we decided, forget everything else, VFT's are awesome.
So I bought a bunch, and didn't kill a one ( I don't think ). Over time, we sold off some to make room for more...and so on and so forth. We only sold them to people we knew. Nothing online.
Then we started to search around online, looking for people/places that sold. Not being happy with what we found, we decided to start up PFT and do it in a way we thought was cool.
And from there, I don't sleep at night, my diet isn't right...( j/k)

I have grown very fond of these plants and in our own way, we are trying to preserve them for future generations of people. My 'inner hippie' came out and all I want to do is to be able to share these incredible plants with any and everybody that I can.

PFT has made some great friends and I am happy that we have the opportunity to give back and help unite the CP world.

I agree with Tamlin, WE ARE ( all of you ) a part of the New Wave of CP growing. We have the power to bring together everyone and make this something special.
smile.gif

Enough of my ramblings. I know I strayed off topic, but my passions for these plants and this group of people is that strong and great.

I encourage everyone to spread these plants in any fashion possible.

And I thank Travis for bringing up such a great Topic!! You are the man!
smile.gif

I am not thee man...I am a Flytrap in a world of flytraps.
smile.gif

I realize this is an old, old, post but if any of the new members would like to read on how some of us got started here you go...If you want add yours to the list of how you got started with Cp's feel free.
smile.gif

Travis

A month or so ago my hubby brought home a flytrap....
Short, not so sweet. Killed 3 so far, working on two more soon to arrive! LOL
wink.gif
Expanding the collection to include sundews (and maybe mimosa), and want to add lots more neat plants. I just don't know what neat tropicals are out there.
sad.gif
I even just got a 23 gallon tank for more room! I NEED NEAT PLANT IDEAS! I know, wrong forum for that. Oh well...
wink.gif
tounge.gif

Like Tamlin my interest in CPs got started by a National Geographic article.  I can't recall if it was the same one as they have done several.  I even WOWed my English teacher.  I had to do a report on something I was interested in and picked Venus Flytraps.  She didn't know that there were other types of carnivorous plants.  It wasn't easy to research. Most people didn't know what I was talking about and the internet was still a long ways down the road.  22 years later, I finally got my first VFT (about 6 yrs ago) at Wal Mart.  It lived a whole month on tap water.  My next two I got about 4 yrs ago at Wall Mart and just for the heck of it I bought distilled water for them.  I still have them and five divisions they produced and my collection has grown to include 4 Green Dragons, 2 Red Dragons, two N. ventricosa, a D. capensis, and some S. leucophylla.  All of which I bought on the internet this year.

Yep, live is good
biggrin.gif

Back