What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CPs in the Wild

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    rare wild
G

Ok, maybe I'm a little naive here but it seems like alot of people have never seen CPs in the wild. Are they just that rare? Or are the spots hard to find? I never realized...

Many of the US CPs are in areas that are way off the beaten track (after all howmany highways go through swampland?) they are on private land (NO TRESPASSING!! VIOLATORS WILL BE MOWED DOWN IN A HAIL OF BULLETS!&#33
wink.gif
or are in protected areas (or all three.)

I am in Atlanta and am supposedly an hour from one of the largest stands of S. oreophila but I've never gotten up to it because no one will disclose the location. I have also been to Florida numerous times in the past 4 months but have yet to see anything other than U. gibba.

I think another reason people don't see them is that the few people who know where they are will not disclose locations due to the high threat of poaching.

Ok, just checking. I don't make it down to the lower 48 much so I really don't know what it's like. I guess I'm spoiled living in the middle of a sphagnum marsh that is covered with CPs. *laughter* I've got to be the only one in Alaska who thinks owning 7 acres of swamp land is great....
biggrin.gif

You mean they have swamps in Alaska? I was under the impression that would just look like a big, mucky ice cube!
wink.gif

tounge.gif

sorry...couldn't resist.....sitting here at work, counting the minutes....

ha ha ha ..
yeah, and one of the biggest problems keeping CPs is keeping them warm without melting the walls of your igloo!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Ok, time for the "No Alaska is Not a Big Glacier" lecture..
*laughter* Just kidding..

Alaska actually has seven species of carnivorous plants; 2 Pings, 3 Utricularia, and 2 Drosera. I've made it my goal this summer to locate and photograph each one in the wild. In August I'll be driving all the way to the Arctic Ocean with my boyfriend who's a professional photographer in search of the last 2 we haven't found.
smile.gif

I guess most people in the U.S. aren't lucky enough to live in areas of bogs, coastal plains or fields where CPs grow in the wild. Too much natural habitat has been destroyed or poached to make it "common". Like Pyro said, most are remote, protected or just plain long non-disclosed areas. I asked a VA expert if therewere any PUBLIC lands where one could view (and view only) CPs in their native enviroment and I was told "no". Now perhaps that answer was to make sure nothing got poached but it was disppointing...I'd like to photograph and enjoy...not destroy.

BTW Purple...what kind of CPs are covering your 7 acres of swampland? Lucky you.

Suzanne

oops...sorry...technical error!

Hi Guys,
Here in England, we have 3 Pings, 3 drosera, I forget exactly how many Utrics, but I think it is 3 and even naturalised Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea and VFTs I have seen so many sites here all on public land, but some of the more isolated sites are under threat. I have witnessed the destruction of 4 small sites I discovered in 1980 were completly gone by 1992 due to forestry activities. But seeing CPs for the first time in the wild gives a thrill that you can't imagine!

I think you have to know some one and luckily I do! (that is if I'm in TX)

Wow, I didn't realize how bad it was ..
I hope nobody thought I was bragging.. around here people don't think living in a swamp is kewl
smile.gif

On my property we have D. rotundifolia, D. anglica, P. villosa, and U. vulgaris. All were there naturaly when we first moved in. P. vulgaris tends to stick to the small coastal towns but it's still pretty easy to find. The biggest patch I've ever seen was right in the middle of a public campground. There were tourists standing right on top of the little guys and they didn't have a clue what they were walking on. I guess that's for the best. I'd hate to see them all get poached or destroyed..

I know what you mean Purple...I cringe to think of people walking all over CPs. But you are lucky you have all that right there where you live. I'd love to see any kind of CPs in the wild.

Suzanne

Yeah.. after hearing all this I certainly see things a little differently. Every time I stumble across a patch of sundew, utrics, or pings while out hiking I'll be all the more thankful they're still around...

and you can poach them with an excuse of "jsut hikin. wut plants !"

Actually.. no
I don't poach plants.. I mean, if everyone who saw them took a few then they'd be gone..
I'm kinda getting nervous about all the ones on my property now.. hmm.. I wonder how much they'd charge to install a 10' electric gate ...
tounge.gif

I've only saw the small purple pitchers plants in the wild and that was years ago.

travis

I'd love to see pitchers in the wild someday
smile.gif

Purple,
You didn't sound like you were bragging, I'm just jealous! I live in New York, and we really don't have any CP bogs (well, that I know about, anyway).

bigbalbob,

you wouldn't be promoting poaching would you?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RamPuppy @ July 23 2002,12:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"bigbalbob"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Raucous laughter...
wow.gif

If anyone ever visits Oregon there is a public bog and state park full of Darlingtonia. It's just north of a small coastal town named Florence. It's about 50 miles west of I-5 in Eugene. It's so cool, you can actually camp besides cobra lillies.
smile.gif

See you there, Jack.

Back