What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CPs in the Wild

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    rare wild
Schloaty....talk to Tamlin. There are CP bogs in NY...I know there is one he goes to from time to time. To LOOK, not to take. I have pictures he sent of this bog but you can't see any specific plants. So bogs there are in NY!

The east coast here has bogs but none I know that are public. There is the Dismal swamp...wonder what grows in there.

Suzanne

Hi Jack:

I will be going out to Oregon this December to see my sister. I am not sure if we would have time to see it but I will keep that in mind.

Thanks,
biggrin.gif

travis

Schloaty,
there are a few bogs in New York. I'm not sure where you are, but in the western part there is at least three (although directions may be VERY hard to find and occasionally misleading). I'm going to see one of the largest ones out here later this summer. The only ones I've seen are in Ontario - I've seen U. Gibba (I think), D. Rotundifolia, and one other drosera (probably intermedia). My uncle claims there are a few around, he's seen at least three or four, mainly with S. Purpurea, and supposedly he's going to take me to one of them later this summer (I've had very bad luck with directions to this place).
I've looked a couple other places that seemed like they had sphagnum moss, but haven't found any cp's - though I have seen some very nice terrestrial orchids.

Thanks for the info!
I will shoot Tamlin a PM!

Also, I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT plan on poaching
tounge.gif

If I get 1 more plant, my wife will feed me to them!
wow.gif
wink.gif

I just wanna look, and take a few pictures.
smile.gif

er...anyone know Tamlin's member name? (sorry, I know it's a stupid question, but I can't figure out how to look it up...)
sad.gif
confused.gif

I have seen CP's in the wild LOTS of times around here. I have seen the only pitcher palnt we have here in NY. S.Purpurea subsp. Purpurea in almost every bog I have been to. Along with D.Rotundifolia in EVERY sphagnumous area and D.Intermedia in every peat/sphangum bog. I have seen a Utricularia in an acid lake but don't know what species and I haven't yet located P.Vulgaris yet. So we have 2-3 drosera D.Rotundifolia-see, D.Intermedia-see, D.Angelica- not see and we have 3 nartual hybrids only seen D. Belenziana

1 pitcher plant S.Purpurea subsp.Purpurea- see enough of!

2 Utricularia supposedly U.Inflata and U.Purpurea I think

1 Ping P.Vulgaris

So yeha I have seen some!
biggrin.gif

Back