What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Other source of food.......

Could it be possible to feed CP (only to the CP pitfall family)human blood? Just wondering because when I donated my N. Ventricosa to my friend to help decorate her suite, then she popped up the question (Above). Not knowing or thinking the question, I turn to you guys and gals to help me answer this question.

Ek, nasty
tounge.gif
. I would personally keep it in the realm of bugs. If you do decide to use blood keep me updated on what happens. After all I have lots of blood to donate...

Travis

Just joking with you! I'm too new to flytraps to be able to answer that one for ya!
wink.gif

There was discussion of this on the CP Listserv a month or so ago.. try a search at ICPS

I honestly don't think it would hurt to try, although that kinda seems to be goin a bit out of the way to feed your plants.
confused.gif

The title of the CP Listserv discussion was "Blood-sucking Ping". It's a really interesting discussion- check it out
smile.gif

Hey Eplants02,
That's sure a creative way to hide the bodies!!
wink.gif
tounge.gif
wow.gif

I used to feed mine blood-engorged ticks that I picked off my dog. Never noticed any negative, or positive effects for that matter. Unless you cut a big artery, you probably aren't going to get enough to make any difference, whether it be positive or negative.

Althogh kinda gross, I really think thats a cool subject...

Ok, Bio-chemists... Whats in bloodthats important, how much, and what would it do for a plant?

Somebody here already tried that, or was it a piece of skin? Ah, can't remember who it was.

Most everything in blood would be good for your CP.  It's got proteins including the one called hemoglobin that makes up your blood cells.  I can't remember all of the ones in the serum (the watery part).  Then there's all the nutrients from the food you eat broken down into nice easy to use forms.  Plus iron and other trace minerals and vitamins carried by the blood stream throughout your body.
 Then there's the carrion flies it attracts looking for a dead body (j/k)
wink.gif

smile.gif

looks like it was steveo...  i found this post
that is the only one that i remember.
andrew

I've heard of people having some success with feeding CP's blood-filled mosquitoes (it is the Alaska state bird after all..)
smile.gif

Andrew, yep, that's the one
biggrin.gif

I think blood is mostly water, but I suppose you could feed the plants anything with protein in - skin, organs
wow.gif

I don't know if you would encourage more bacteria if you fed stuff like that to pitchers though.

Mr arms are sore just thinking about cutting cut or intentionally poking yourself! The sound of getting blood taken out via a needle just makes me feel uneasy. *shivers* Anyhow I think that it is very nasty to do thjat to your plants and that IMO it wouldn't do anything different than bugs would. All blood has in it is protien,calcium,hemoglobin,etc.

Mhm... Now that I think of it, Duh... It does have all those dissolved nutrients in it... Yaaay. How fun. I shall go a-slashing now to feed my planty wanties!!!

*I'm coming my pretties!!!!*

Back