What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free!

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
OK, I have no idea how much these cost. I don't really care ;-). what really matters here is these are free! as long as you don't mind taking a few moments to do it... I made 24 labels out of one 2 liter soda bottle... remove the label. cut off the top where it stops the bend. also cut the bottom off at the bend. then cut the bottle long ways from top to bottom. and those strips in half. if you want, you can trim one side to make kinda a point for that professional look... and ease of insert into the medium. just throw away the parts that has the glue from the soda label. bam! there you go. they may be different sizes. but who cares? the names are different lengths right? hehe.
later,
Andrew

How do you write on it? Theyre clear right?

Thats a good idea. I may try that if I get up the de-lazyness factor in my body.
smile.gif

But i need those bottles for rain! Hehehe...

yeah they are clear. this is where the trusy black Sharpie marker comes in... ;-)
andrew
i don't need them for water. since we don't get rain anyway... heheh

Sharpies. The bane of Greg. I had one - Kuz they're handy. And it disappeared. I got another - evaporated... I purchase another - didnt disappear, but when I went to write nothing came out... It just wasn't meant to be....

Andrew, really good idea. i got a bunch of 2-3 liter bottels and was going to buy some lables to put into the plants pots. now since i don't need them. i'll cut one up to do that. thanks for the idea. also it wasn't free you still had to pay for the bottel when u bought the drink. so why not put it to good use.

George-cp... although you "pay" for the bottle, you didn't "buy" the bottle right? ...you buy the contents of the bottle. I dunno about where all of you are. but here, you can use the bottle to do what you want. or put it in the can the city picks up to recycle it. I would rather use it myself. so I see that as... well... FREE!!! hehe
Andrew

Well it does cost more to buy a drink in the bottel than it does to get i out of the fountain at the store. i get the bottle cause it is easyer to carry around when i'm out riding my bike around.

also don't throw away the bottom. it can always be used as a small pot to plant something in later on.

I've used the white yogurt containers for this purpose. But really, those label tags are really cheap about 5 Canadian cents each. The deposit on the 2L bottle is 20 cents. I'd rather pay the extra few cents and not have to settle for second-rate plant labels.

you carry 2 and 3 liter bottles of soda around when you ride your bike? and fountain sodas can't sit in the kitchen until whatever time of the day and or night to be fresh to drink when you are ready.
I like the idea of the bottom as a pot. but even better since it is not that deep, how about a water tray for a pot to sit in?
Andrew

dode, no deposit here... if I could get .20 that would be possibly a better idea. but since not....... besides second rate?? it is just a stick of plastic that you write on and stick in the ground right?
tounge.gif

Andrew

i agree with Andrew since there is no return here eather. why go out and pay for something else when u can already make something u already have in hand.

most of the time i only buy 20oz. to carry around. but there was this time when i actually needed them to cool down the highlanders at night but since i have a set up now they just sit around in my room.

A warning: sharpies will wash off and bleach out in the sun: 1 season and they fade to nothing. I have taken to using a soft lead pencil as a result to mark the labels. Learned this the hard way!

Oh yeah: I use BurgerKing soda cups. They are white plastic. Recycling is good!

Yes, the sharpie marker will fade. I lost the lables on two of the clear plastic cups I was using to cover some seeds. Luckely I know what the seeds are and have a record of when I planted them. I use either the store bought plant lables or use small blank address lables with a ball point pen.

thanks for the warning. although since my plants don't sit in the sun i guess it is ok... :) besides. if you look at your plants all the time (don't tell me you don't) wouldn't you notice the label going bye bye? a plant i traded came with one of those store bought lables. and the writing was fading and washing off... i just refreshed it and it is good as new. i am sure i will go to the real lables as soon as i find them arround here. will probably go to buying them off line. being that i need to find those rose pots as well.
andrew

I've just had a bunch of plant labels made up for the orchid garden where I now work.
I had them all properly printed but I did it "on the cheap: this way:

- get them printed as business cards
- have them printed on thin plastic rather than paper
- each card is printed with two labels, one above the other
- they cut them cut in half with a machine so the whole thing looks professional

The total cost was Rp18,000 (almost exactly US$2.00) for 100 cards = 200 labels. That comes to 1 cent per label.

Cheers, Troy.

I guess I a little on the uptight side - what I would really like is one of those label-maker things that print out computer generated type on laminated pieces of tape.

But I suppose it all relative - in Slack's "Insect eating plants" he instructs the reader to have plants in matching pots, organized according to size, and to have curtains to hide equipment store under the potting bench.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (GEORGE-CP @ Nov. 24 2002,10:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well it does cost more to buy a drink in the bottel than it does to get i out of the fountain at the store. i get the bottle cause it is easyer to carry around when i'm out riding my bike around.

also don't throw away the bottom. it can always be used as a small pot to plant something in later on.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
that's a good idea! you think I could re-pot my U. livida in it? It would be really cool. You could see the traps!
wow.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif

spec, go of it. at least it will come to some use

sure! me livida is planted in a clear cup. not big enough yet to have the traps at the edge. the time will come i am sure.
andrew

Back