What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick question about lfs!

• Thread starter death66
  • Start date
i just got some LFS and i was wondering if you need to wash/rinse it before using it.  i got it from Lowe's and the package says it's a product of Chile and the company is Luster Leaf Products inc., but it says nothing about being washed or not. thanx for your help!!!!
biggrin.gif

LFS is pretty pure, although rinsing anything that has to do with CP is always in order. With this, I think you are safe though.

I have never rinced my LFS, and my plants dont look any worse for the wear.

Cole

Hey death66,

I have the same stuff from Lowe's. Pyro gave me some good tips a few months back: pick out all of the leaves and twigs, wet the stuff, and warm it up in the microwave! Kills any of the things in there (unless you're trying to grow lfs from it). I noticed a great improvement in my spag since using those methods. All I get now is the occasional grass sprout. I used to get gobs of weird moss, and mold everywhere.

Yeah, i've done it both ways. I usually rinse it off anyway, just to wet it first, easier to handle sometimes. Wickedthistle has a point though. You never really know what's on the stuff. LFS in and of itself is pretty clean, but there's so many other things in a bag, and a little humidity could cause a bacteria to be present. Plus, you never know what Lowe's has crawling around on the shelves at night.
tounge.gif

If it's for a plant you're worried about doing everything perfect in it's care (especially if it's picky or growing from seed), rinse and sterilize. If it's a hardier plant, like say, a mature one that has dense growth, it could deal with it. Heck it made it this far, it's probably been through worse.

My Lowe's has birds that fly in through the doors from the covered plant area. The first time I walked past a potted tree indoors and had a bird swoop out I jumped a little.
tounge.gif

@ death66 , i got the same thing , pft sells it as well , although i don't know why its from chile , lowes is the only palce i found lfs

@ colieo , me too , i don't really care because i knbow its already clean , same thing with the other soil addtives .

@ wickenthislte , hhhm , i may start considering nuking my soil media , and the bird thing , that happens alot in big warehouses , today when i went to lowes i saw some spearows eat some dead leaves off the plants , i hope they get outside ok , i don't want them to die or start switching there diet to the pesticides near the plant section .

IN my local Lowes the birds tend to prefer the plant section because of all the folage and it being right next to the birdseed.LOL

I just drew a blank... what is LFS again. This so sad that I have forgotten.
sad.gif

Wes

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> What is LFS again?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

LFS-Long Fibered Spaghnum moss

smile.gif

Ohhhh yea... Thanks.

Back