What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have a formula?

I figure out there somewhere, someone must have a formula for what the relative humidity is at a given distance over a given body of water in a given climate.

Anybody have a clue?

...things like this make me wish I ever had a teacher that understood what I was asking.
wink.gif

Geez, sounds like a meteorology question....maybe some weather person can give you an answer. My guess would that it would have to entail the temp of the water versus the temp of the air to give you a rate of evaporation. Then wind speed needs to be taken into account and if it is sunny or cloudy and maybe barometric pressure....why do want to know this by the way?

Well, I guess I could just get a probe or something...just thought a formula might be more fun.
wink.gif

I'm actually trying to figure out what the humidity would be an inch or two above the water surface of a tray of water. PinguiculaMan grows his plants in a tray system 24/7/365. I'm just trying to figure out where the break may be in humidity for which plants I can just stick in a tray of water, and which ones should be in a terrarium.

You can always buy a humidifier. At Mall*Wart they are selling for about $20, as I purchased one yesterday.

travis

Travis do you mean a hygrometer?

You can measure humidity with a sling physcrometer and use a table to determine dewpoint and RH. I have the table and the sling physcrometer can be easily made with 2 thermometers.

From what I understand, he hardens off all his plants so it doesn't matter what the conventional meathoid of growing is. (sort of along the lines of how I grow dark VFTs when needed)But, I don't know if he has any northern or tropical pitchure plants which usually require humidity for maintaning their traps.

As to a formula, you have to take into account tempurature and air movement, but if you really want some numbers, I actually have some, lol. *stop looking at me like that, it's from my chem class okay*. I'd rather not have to go dig out my notes, but I can if you still need them.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nepenthes gracilis @ April 11 2003,06:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Travis do you mean a hygrometer?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
No, I got a humidifier. It seems to work well, it is only the second day though.

Back