What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivory...what IS it?

Pyro, Dont believe everything you see on Jurassic Park. An example of this would be the velociraptor. Its skull in the first two movies was completely screwed up in the fact that it was not long and narrow, but dull and rounded off. That long and narrow head is what seperates a velociraptor from the other raptors. Second of all to tell you the truth a velociraptor is no more than an ankle nimbler. In this I mean it is smaller than the all the other raptors. It can get to be 6 feet long. Now some of you may think that is a big dinosaur, but if you think about it it is not. Most of that is tail and neck. A good example of it small size would be if you spread apart your thumb and pointer fingure the head of a velociraptor wouldnt be much larger. Its head is 7 inches or 191 millimeters. It weighs as mush as a medium sized dog. Namely 25 pounds. Its big killer claw was only 3 1/4 inches long. It is a really small dinosaur in comparison with many others.
As for T-Rex and Spinosaurus there are even bigger mistakes made. In the movie Spinosaurus is bigger than T-Rex by a long shot.Spinosaurus is accually 39ft long and T-Rex is 49ft long. T-Rex is a good bit longer and probably over all larger in every sense of the word. As for a good fight ,well, it would be interesting to see, but still not fair. T-Rex being larger, having huge teeth, extremely large jaw muscles, and a head that is so heavy it has to have really small arms and a very long, and heavy tail to counter balance it.
BigBaldBob i saw a show on TV that mentioned that discovery and the out comes of a fight between the two in different enviroments. Not to mention countless articles that spoke of it. As for the name I remember trying to pernounce it, but I may be way off "Caurcarasaurus." I am probably way off if I am on at all, but i remember the double car sounds at the beginning.

P.S. Never think just because it was an expensive movie that they researched thing through very far or cared. Though in Jurassic park you could argue that they were mutants and nothing I said mattered, but I dont think that was there idea.

Hmmmmm... That message is really long so there are probably mistakes and I might of gotten off track or misread one of your posts and answered something that wasnt mentioned.

Virus,

I was just using the movie as an example of what it looked like. It was not where I got the information.

Re: Velociraptor -- Yes and No. V. mongoliensis is the little 6 foot "ankle bitter" you mention. V. anterhopis (formerly Dienonychus) ws 12' tip to tip and had a blunted skull. As for the movie 'raptors, they were modled after Bakker's find in Utah of a 'raptor that was 20' tall, 8' high with a sickle claw of 1'

Re: Spinosaur vs. Rex -- The largest Rex was the 49 footer you talked about but the largest Spino was 56' (I think that was the measurement given in 'Predatory Dinosaurs,' been a while since I read it. I 'll check when I get home.) so it was longer but in every other way it was more 'gracile,' so it weighed less than Rex. And there has never been a skull for it found so they don't know what it's head looked like.

Pyro

(p.s. I am sure I butchered the spelling on almost all thos latin names so... )

oh virus cool
smile.gif
, ya that name sounds about right,
u saw them talking abou fighting in an open area and in a forest right ?
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

Well, I think the velo. raptor is my favorite dinosaur of all time!! A pack of about 7 could take down a Terranisaurious rex, almost anyday. They will sometimes get their ankle claws lodged into a terranisaur.'s bone, where it then sadly became a meal
sad.gif
Oh, well, I used to know a LOT more, but then interests became herpetology, and CPs, oh, what'll I think of next?...
tounge.gif

Pyro, sorry I would reply right now, but I am having trouble typing. In this I mean if I try to fix or add anything in the middle of a sentence it erases what I have written immediately after angd it is @#$#$$# diving me crazy. I wrote a whole page on the subject and now it is screwed up(I will rewrite it again sometime). As for right now I want to know two things. What is a V. mongoliensis? And d oyou have a book called "Raptors!"

P.S. I will reply to your post when I am not so @%$# mad. There are many mistakes in my post, but I cant fix them because it will erase what I have already written. Did I press a wrong key, am I nuts, or is this %$@# thing making me mad for its own personal enjoyment.

Sam currently tearing his hair out and consuming it for his own personal enjoyment and hopes he hasnt gone crazy while howling at the moon to calm his $#%$ self down. Nice talkin to you.
smile.gif

im pretty sure it has something to do with the button "insert" basically uf u click right here \/
"hi i am bigbalbob"
and then i add a d it will say
"hi i am bigbaldob" just press insert again i think, and that fixes it
wink.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Maybe we need a new forum entitled "Dinosaurs".
biggrin.gif

I've always found them fascinating since I was a little tyke playing with my set of plastic dinosaurs in the bath tub until I turned into prune and my mother yelled at me to get out of the tub. Then the dinosaurs were packed away until the next adventure in the soap bubbles. Bet you didn't know all dinosaurs can swim.
smile.gif
At least the plastic species do.
biggrin.gif

Pyro...when you get that time machine built, let me know! I'm going with ya!

Suzanne

Virus,

V. mongoliensis = Velociraptor mongoliensis

Also, I checked the stats in my 'Predatory Dinosaurs' book:

T-Rex total length -- 10.8m Weight -- 5.7 ton

Spinosaur total length -- 15m Weight -- 4 ton

These are given as the averages from all specimines found so naturally there were larger and smaller of each.

Hope your computer stops fritzing soon

Pyro

Back