What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found another way to clean peat moss

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
note: I perfer the light peat moss you may not. Either way, this post should help you. ;-)

Ok so before I just took my peat moss got it wet and squeezed it out until the ppm tester read approx 20 ppm.  This usually took about 9-12 times.  Today while I was transplanting some of my for the round pot giveaway I took a 3 gal bucket filled it halfway with water and stirred in some peat moss.  I got a phone call and when I came out it was floating.  so I skimmed the top and squeezed this out and placed it in a different bucket.  originally the ppm of this peat moss was 212 ppm.  after I was done skimming the top I reached to the bottom for anything that had fallen.  to my surprise all that was down there was this crap that I didn't want to use.  the water with the crap was reading 164 ppm and the peat moss that was skimmed was down to 32.  here is a pic of what I had skimmed from the top (left) and what was left in the bucket after I dumped the water out (right).

peatmoss.jpg

the stuff on the left stays fluffy and doesn't pack.  the stuff on the right I can't keep from packing.  so I was happy to get rid of this.  I would say I came out with 75% good moss and 25% of the bad.  I am sure these rates will change with each bag since it all depends on where the moss was pulled from in the bog.  but at least now I know how to use only the good stuff!!  the last step is add the perlite, moisten, mix then put in a 10 inch pot and run 1 gall ro water through it.  here I got the final mix down to 15 ppm.
anyone else already use this method?  or have a better method?
LATER!

wow! that's a big difference in peat quality! I'll have to try that!
biggrin.gif
alien.gif

Wow, that's pretty cool. Are there other methods of cleaning peat, and is this a common thing to do? (I'm still new at this.)

Let us know how the plants are doing with it in any case.

Caplsock

I have been using it was the sphagnum moss and milled Spagnum. It works great.

Hey adnedarn, out of topic here, but nice plants u have. Do u by any chance still have the movie clip of the VFT catching a fly? Many thanks
smile.gif

i should somewhere on my computer.. it seams the link on my web page isn't working. strange... how did you know about my movie by the way?
Andrew

I went to your website and I saw the link, but the file isn't there.... cld u pls send it to me? I'd be most interested. Thanks!

Back