What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooks carnivorous plants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have ordered from cooks before, but one plant died within two weeks and the darlingtonia isn't doing good. but both were bare root. I am giving cooks another try, but this time shipped potted. the only place I have had healthy plants shipped is from petflytrap
smile.gif
. did cooks plants die cause it was shipped bare root? is it safe to order from him? thanks,
Spectabilis73

right after I typed thanks, a fly flew around my face and I caught it! brb, I have some cp feeding to do...

wah wah hah ah
tounge.gif

really, I caught one!

I haven't heard of anyone having any problems with Cook's.

But then again, don't expect people to start criticising other nurseries and individual growers - which would be impolite at best on a popular forum such as this.

Personally, I like Cook's, and I've ordered plants from him a few times. However, I usually prefer bareroot plants.

Shipping bareroot while the plants are dormant won't cause any problems. But during the growing season, it will likely shock the plant, and you may have to wait until next year for it to reattain it's vigor.

I took advantage of the free plant offer, and got two vft's from them a while back. They were a little ill when they got here (14 days later), but I brought them back and they're really healthy. They were shipped bare-root.
They offer no garuntees on the safe and healthy arrival of they're plants unless you pay for the permit. If you pay that extra charge, they garuntee and by rights you should be able to exchange or refund.
wink.gif
smile.gif

I just ordered from them yesturday. Maybe I should have paid for overnight mail. No telling how long it could take my large, bareroot plants to get here in Alaska
sad.gif
. .... I think I'm really startingto worry
sad.gif

I admit;

before I found this site; I ordered from Cook's.

He only would ship his blood mouths bare root. I've lost one so far and may lose another (I ordered 8). The rest may make it but are set back quite a bit.

I did notice; that several came out of the moist bundle he put them in and were flopping around naked in the bag. I don't know if this had anything to do with it.

i have ordered from cook's several times, mostly sarrs, but a couple of vft's as well.All orders have been bareroot, each plant had vibrant color and were in great shape and still are. So i would say it is safe to order from them.
Kevin

I've had nothing but problems ordering from Cooks ...
sad.gif
confused.gif

I can say that I have not had any problem ordering/trading with Cook's CP(but I live in CA-not too distant from Oregon).
In fact, my first pygmy drosera and mexican ping. came from him.

I have bought from Cook's before and it was a fairly good experience. Like CP2k, I'm in CA so shipping was fast. Plants were in good shape. He did trim off too much from a couple of vfts, and so they didn't survive the winter. But everything else was great.

I have ordered from Cooks quite a bit and have never had anything but good experiences with the guy. His plants have always came quickly and in great shape. Of course I always order from this place first
wink.gif
but they are my number 2 CP provider.

Hmm, now I'm strating to worry about the droseras I ordered (and still haven't shown up yet of course 2-3 weeks later. Since they're "rare" ones I certainly hope they live!
confused.gif

well, the sensible thing to do, is think about it before you buy it, if you live a distance, then pay for the higher shipping, you know, the 2 or 3 day thing, or even an over nighter,i live in Illinois, so im a ways away, even from here at PFT, theres more chance of loosing a plant the longer it stays boxed up, its not cook's fault, or pft's, just happens that way, also, whats the temps in the box? want less shock? open the plants up in the same temp, sudden and dramatic temp changes in the air can hurt them too in their weakened state. my first order of plants took the longest, and taught me a lesson, i get them transfered to me in the shortest time i can afford, if you dont have enough for the shipping, then maybe you should hold off on buying them til you have the appropriate funds, after all, its really not worth being impatient to just order them and wait, saving a few bucks isnt worth it either if your gonna have a plant lose, after my first order from here, i learned, im too far away in the states, pay the extra, cause i love em! these plants are so beautiful, they are worth the extra 20 buck for shipping, oh, and this is for anyone just as a general suggestion on shipping, if your that far away pay for the higher shipping, or just leave em alone, just my thoughts on the matter
smile.gif
( not tryin to tee anyone off either
smile.gif

securely thinking of my plants
smile.gif

ccrider

I called cooks yesturday, and he said it would take my plants about a week to get here.

I never got anything from cook but someone I know says he packs super good and gives nice plants.

_-West-_

I like Cook's, Dean is really nice and explains all information well. (not that PFT doesnt
smile.gif
smile.gif
); I moslty order the rarer droseras.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back