What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin of your name

• Thread starter RamPuppy
  • Start date
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hans Breuer @ Sep. 08 2005,8:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You're "TwoTon" on CPUK? I never knew.
What - you couldn't tell by my thick accent?
LOL! And ya know what's further confusing? This:

Location Taipei, Taiwan
This member's real name Hans Breuer

Je ne comprends pas!
confused.gif

I like curling.

Plus, yes, I do play it in both a men's and a mixed league.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Sep. 10 2005,5:34)]
And ya know what's further confusing? This:

Location Taipei, Taiwan
This member's real name Hans Breuer

Je ne comprends pas!
confused.gif
Awfuly sorry to have confused you, but I can assure you, there's a logical and satisfying explanation for all of this:

My real name is Hans Breuer. TRUE

I'm German. TRUE

I've been living in Taiwan since 1989, the year I came here for a year-long Chinese language course, after which I decided that I liked it here much better than in Ze Fazerland and thus stayed for good. TRUE

At the risk of sounding even more confusing: I make a living translating computer games (www.shentloc.com)
TRUE

See? All perfectly normal, nothing eccentric here, millions of people live quite similar lives (apart from the greenhouse on the garage, maybe)
smile.gif

cheers!

Hans

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hans Breuer @ Sep. 10 2005,11:59)]Awfuly sorry to have confused you, but I can assure you, there's a logical and satisfying explanation for all of this:

My real name is Hans Breuer. TRUE

I'm German. TRUE

I've been living in Taiwan since 1989, the year I came here for a year-long Chinese language course, after which I decided that I liked it here much better than in Ze Fazerland and thus stayed for good. TRUE

At the risk of sounding even more confusing: I make a living translating computer games (www.shentloc.com)
TRUE

See? All perfectly normal, nothing eccentric here, millions of people live quite similar lives (apart from the greenhouse on the garage, maybe)
smile.gif

cheers!

Hans
Could be worse. You could be French-Canadian, writing in English, with a Japanese Email address, pining after Chinese food. This is also true!

Jim: Move to Hongcouver, they've got the most authentic Chinese food outside of Asia there - even Stinky Tofu!!

I borrowed my username from another board. The CNC comes from my occupation, I am a CNC (computer numerical control) machinist. I use computer controlled machines to produce close tolerance parts. The "reefer" part comes from having a saltwater reef aquarium
smile_m_32.gif

Zac...Zac...? Oh yea my parents called me that when I was born.
My usual nick is xadist it means that my beliefs are variable (x) and it sound cool.

cheers,
Z

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CNCreefer @ Sep. 11 2005,9:25)]The "reefer" part comes from having a saltwater reef aquarium
smile_m_32.gif

Did you know there's a great movie about ocean aquarists and their hobby?

It's called "Reefer Madness".
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CNCreefer @ Sep. 11 2005,9:25)]The "reefer" part comes from having a saltwater reef aquarium
smile_m_32.gif
I am SO glad you elucidated this part. BTW, I used to work for a tropical fish wholesaler and was in charge of the salt section. Although the idea was to bring 'em in and move 'em out, it was still enjoyable to have them for a shortwhile.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hans Breuer @ Sep. 11 2005,8:13)]Jim: Move to Hongcouver, they've got the most authentic Chinese food outside of Asia there - even Stinky Tofu!!
Um... is that in Canada or China? Once I moved from NYC/LI, I couldn't find a decent egg roll!

I'd still like to hear about forum names that don't seem to make any sense - like Dyflam and Prizmbatch and ceasg.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Sep. 12 2005,7:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hans Breuer @ Sep. 11 2005,8:13)]Jim: Move to Hongcouver, they've got the most authentic Chinese food outside of Asia there - even Stinky Tofu!!
Um... is that in Canada or China? Once I moved from NYC/LI, I couldn't find a decent egg roll!
Dat be in Western Canada. Its enormous Asian population earned Vancouver the moniker "Hongcouver".

Now that makes total sense! Of course every city of good size has their version of "Chinatown" - Philly, NYC, Toronto,.... Speaking of Vancouver, what exactly does 'Canuck' mean?

Good question, Jim, you know, I never even thought about that- I am pretty sure that it has something to do with a war of some kind, and if I recall it right, the origin had to do with a character named Johnny Canuck, but to know for sure would likely take some digging

And I too would like to know whay Dyflam means, among others

A funny little story, though, in reference to users like Hans etc- at another site I visit, there was a topic just like this, and of all the folks offering their explanations, the FUNNIEST one was a guy using the handle "billfreemore" which we always joked was the most unoriginal name EVER- turns out that he used to be in a band, and they were having a hard time getting things rolling- they showed up at a gig they were supposed to be playing and the marquee outside said "Tonight- BILL FREEMORE"
They were pretty angry as even if someone actually WANTED to see them, they would likely not show up... see, the bands name was "The More" and a guy named Bill had set up the gig and obviously wasn't clear enough on the phone or some such thing...
The band no longer exists, but the story is still pretty darn funny

Back