What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rare plants

Martin - Thanks I will read up on that, I appreciate it.

On the Southern Carnivores post - 2 things:

1) I was under the impression that is was ok to post other CP sites that were not direct competitors of PFT, Phill Mann sells almost exculsively Neps and a couple of rarer Drosera. Phil (Crane) when you get a minute can you clarify this - Thanks.

2) I have dealt with Phill Mann for years and never had a problem receiving plants. And the rates shown are in AU dollar so it is actually cheaper for us US folks. (But I am biased because I did his website)

Ok on the rare issue - I agree that rare can be either not easily obtained or not many around, in either case one of the big problems I find is mis id'd plants so they appear rare, often not intentionally but it is difficult with the tools today to always make a good identification. Tamlin, we need your database set up so we can be sure we are getting the plant we hope for.

Cheers
Pete

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">-somehow get one rare plant-
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Still working on this part!
wink.gif

Anyhow, Goldtrap, i am taking the trip recomended by Sarencia0. I've gotten some common species that propogate themselves like mad, and trade them away every chance I get for other stuff I don't have (best "moneymaker" so far has been the D. Capensis, second is the D.Spatulata...but I've only been playing the game since June). Also, when nothing is currently up for trade that I feel I can care for, I'll just send out the seeds to anyone who wants. I tell ya, you're nice to people and it comes back to you three fold!
biggrin.gif

I think Dodec and pthiel said it best when they said "make friends" 90% my really REALLY good plants came from other growers, either as trades or as gifts.

its very true, most places that sell the other species do sell, what is here, but! they dont have this forum!
smile.gif
like i said, thats the reason i keep coming back here, as for many others. and the trading thing, i think thats ok too, if i have the extras, ill gladly just send them out to who wants them, but, im not here for that main reason, im here for the information, and also, id like to think that, even though i dont know that much, my information has helped others too. it makes me feel my time here is worth something, even go as far to say what ive gotten so far was priceless, thats my main point, no matter who sells what where, thats what keeps me here, not the plants, like i said, if everyone here wanted to, they couldve just went somewheres else, but they are here also, if i went to cooks, and bought some plants there, im still going to come back here if i wanted more fly traps, or another nep. rafflesiana, do you see my point? i think we all feel this, just show it in different ways
smile.gif
i love terrariums, ive helped on terrariums, i love flytraps, ive gotten help on them, and on neps too, but, if i found a place that sells rajah, or even more expensive neps. that are cheaper and can get them to you safely, i would want to share it without wanting to think its going to step on someones toes, i guess im looking at it a lil more inocently then i should, but thats how i am, if i like or even love something, i want to share it all with out someone saying " you cant do that, it will offend someone" or something like that, cause, if your really doing your hobby that you love respectfully, it shouldnt step on no ones toes at all, right?
smile.gif

oh yeah, if this does step on someones toes, i am sorry, but, i like to think this is a community for cp growers, not a community of clicks, know what i mean? we are all supposed to be friends here, not just a few.....this, is rightious.

I was just telling Phillip what a fantastic resource he has given us here with this forum: it is from forum members that I have received (and shared) material not commonly encountered.

One of the best ways to get these plants is to study the plant you wish to grow, so that you can intelligently discuss the subject with those who do grow it. By demonstrating that you know what it takes to grow it, and are willing and able to provide for the plants need, you will earn respect from such growers.

All my "rare" plants were donations. I usually approach the "Masters" to learn how they are doing it, not to initially beg a plant. I present myself politely and intelligently. Intelligent means taking the time to write a letter with correct spelling, and sensible questions. If you come off sounding like a grade school drop out, you lose credibility. (WordPerfect will correct spelling errors, and suggest good grammar and composition). I understand that people in other parts of the world may not have these skills immediately in place, but tools may and should be utilized. Taking the time to attend to such matters brings with it a demonstration of caring about attention to detail: and this is a skill that is very needed to grow difficult "rare" species. Also, by learning to "talk the talk" convincingly, you will in fact also learn to "walk the walk" and that is what often makes your case.

After corresponding for awhile on the subject, it is not uncommon to have the desired species offered. I never ask outright for a plant; I ask only to be taught the skills needed to grow it. I may mention that should excess ever become available, to please consider me for a bit of it, but this is not the main focus of the correspondence. Nor should it be. Rare plants are often rare because they pose specific problems in cultivation, and no one should request them without adequate preparation for the adventure in growing them. These plants need to be reserved for those serious enough to make this kind of effort, so that they may be reproduced in quantity. To send such to someone incapable of maintaining it just wastes one more opportunity for this process to happen. Simply "wanting" the rarest plant in the world is not enough. Even "wanting to grow" the plant is not enough: you must be able to have a reasonable chance at success.

So, start with material that is related to the plants you desire, but not as rare or difficult. Prove to yourself and others that you have the skills, conditions and desire and the rest will follow!

Please understand that I am not addressing those who do not have English as a primary language, regarding spelling or grammar. Nor am I speaking so much about "Forum" communication. We are all family here, and this is not a concern. When emailing someone outside the forum, however, it is good to appear intelligent, this is my only point. I hope my comments will not offend or be taken wrong. I am a poor speller myself, but when I want to appear at my best, I use the tools to correct this lack.

Could not have said it any better
biggrin.gif

Good job
smile.gif

i think I am going to join the icps or if there is a cp club near the san fernando velly please tell . idon't know much about this stuff such as if i am old enough to enter or if there are any charges . I think I am going to make plenty of good trades in this website , I've made about 30 trades already but still i don't have the plants I need . I am not looking for rare plants at the moment evn if someone gave it to me for free , i'm gonna wait til i'm more experianced .I just read in peter d'matos book the savage garden that you need a permit for n. rajah , n. khasiana , and rubra alabamensis , i did'nt know you need a permit for those .

Tamlin, Thank you - that is what I was trying to say but not getting across.

There is no age limit in the ICPS, but to meet other growers face to face a local society is probably a better choice.

Cheers

Back