What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coffee grounds for planting medium?

• Thread starter Tag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    coffee
Hi,
Vft's love acidic medium, so has anyone ever tried coffee grounds? We use them for roses and other plants so I was wondering if they might not work for Vft's. Just a thought!
Tag

hmmm...I wonder if that would help my blueberries?

Every organism on earth likes coffee, lets not kid ourselves...

That's an interesting thought, Tag, because someone told me years ago that you could grow cp's in coffee or tea grounds and I didn't believe it so I never tried it. Think I'll stop by Lowe's tomorrow and negotiate a cheap price (it works sometimes) for one of their improperly-cared-for Venus Flytraps or Sarrs and give it a try. I like to experiment with plants, and this sounds like a good one.

Maybe a mixture of sand, peat, and coffee grounds. Hmmm

Thank you for reminding about that idea.

Alan

I wouldnt imagine it'd work, but of course Ive been known to be wrong sometimes.

One thing though I dont think its good to keep coffee grounds damp. I dont know about any one else but I  have seen quite a few moldy coffee filters from being forgotten and left in the maker, and we all know that it has plenty of drainage so it cant be that. I did throw some in a pothos pot and it got moldy as well
confused.gif
I wonder if it would work with a fungicide...

Good point, unknownclown, under damp warm conditions, coffee grounds do tend to get moldy. I don't know the chemical make up of coffee grounds except that they release
tannic acid, but since they mold so easily, I would think there
are nutrients and minerals within them.
But I think that it is still worth a try just to see what happens. Tag might be onto somthing here. I'm going to try it and If I lose the plant, well, being in the hands of some of the pseudo nursuries around my neighborhood, they would have died anyway. You never know until you try.
I have lots of VFT's coming out of dormancy on my patio but in no way would I try this with any of them

OF COARSE there are nutrients in coffee Its a seed !
So lets think about this now, would you ever consider growing your carnivorous plants in cracked corn? how about hulled sunflower seeds? No? well let me know how it works out
wink.gif

I wonder if you could drink it after it sits in the pot for a day
confused.gif
smile.gif
. Mmmmm, that is some good coffee!...what is your secret? O' some Cp's, fine coffee grounds, and a tray that is all
wink.gif

Travis

Hey, I went hunting & just found this old thread similar to one that was just up a while.  A bit interesting...  
rock.gif

It's called recycling.  Just doing our part to not waste topics
rock.gif

laugh.gif

smile.gif

BCK

Back