What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New kid in town

Howdy!  

I'm new to the forums.

I the proud owner of a Natural Sand Hill Seep bog in Central Alabama.  The Chunnenuggee bog .  Chunnenuggee is Creek Indian meaning "High Ground" http://www.chunnenugee.homestead.com/
This is  "New" web site, I just started it over the week end so it's very VERY basic and I've got ALOT of work to do on it so please forgive the incomplete nature of my site.

I started the bog about three years ago.  I have all the native Sarracenia in the bog along with sundews, flytraps and other natives to Bogs of the South Eastern US.   It's a labor of love and I did my first burn in February of this year.

Nice place y'all have here!  

Chunnenuggee

Welcome to the forums!
smile.gif

Bloom.gif

A pic of a few White Tops blooming in the Chunnenugge Bog

Those are beautiful flowers.
smile.gif
I haven't seen any of them here in Az. Then again, only cactus grows in Az.

Edit Reason: I misread Africa for Alabama. Sorry....
confused.gif

NO! Those a Sarracenia Leucophylla.. (White Top Pitcher plants) Native ONLY to South Alabama, Florida Pandhandle and Extreme West Georgia.
They are carnivorous plants that bloom in the spring of the year. They grow in bogs and other wet areas. They are becoming very rare due to habitat destruction.

http://www.geocities.com/pitcherplants/

Check out Randy's page for more info on Sarracenia and other plants of the Gulf Coast..

I know... I'm sorry. As I said in the edit, I mis-read Alabama for Africa.

One more thing..

Once I get up and going good I'll post dozens of pics of Sarracenia from my bog. Sarracenia are NEAT carnivourous plants and the Chunnenuggee bog is full of them

Randy page does an EXCELLENT job of describing the various Sarracenia. (Pitcher Plants) Randy is a good friend of mine.

Most all Sarracenia are becoming threatened. Habitat destruction due to local bogs being filled and developed are putting the these wonderful plants in a bind.

Sarracenia also need fire to reduce competion from other weeds and shrubs. The wildfires that was once common along the Gulf Coast is now almost absent, and most bogs that are not burned are being over grown with brush and trees. In Alabama their are two Sarracenia on the threaded and endangered species list, Sarracenia Alabamensis and Sarracenia Oreophila.

At the current rate of habitat destruction, it's only a matter of time before more of the Sarracenia are listed as "threatened or endangered"

The Chunnenuggee Bog is my effort to preserve and celebrate Sarracenia in Alabama in their native environment.
smile.gif

It's a labor of love and I'm having a blast watching them grown and thrive.

Chunnenugge

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cougarmint @ April 29 2003,10:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Those are beautiful flowers.
smile.gif
I haven't seen any of them here in Az. Then again, only cactus grows in Az.

Edit Reason: I misread Africa for Alabama. Sorry....    
confused.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
LOL!

Well, some folks that visit parts of Alabama might think they are in Africa....
tounge.gif

Chunnenuggee, Good job. I believe it's people like you that hold the key to cp's survival. Organizations like The Nature Conservancy and Meadowview are doing alot for saving cp sites. Organizations like that and individuals buying and preserving land and cp's is the only way that I can see that will stop development. I think The Nature Conservancy will even come to your land and burn and manage it. I don't know if they will be interested in your site since it's not a natural bog, but you may want to look into it. Keep up the good work.

I think you'll have a cool website when you get it finished.

Nice place you have there too.

Welcome to the forums!
alien.gif

Just a suggestion, make a list of all of the cps you have in your bog, I'm very curious to see what you have!
biggrin.gif

do you have any sarracenia rubra (or any endangered species) in your bog?

Thanks for the welcome.

I have Sarracenia:

Leucophylla, (Typical and Tarnok) Tarnok is really a very nice variety! Tall pitchers with bright red coloration, neat pom pom type blooms > one of my favorites.
Purpurea, Flava (Rugelli, Ornata, Coppertop and a couple Red Tubes)

Rubra spp. wherry, this is the only variety of Rubra I have.

Alatas and Minor, ( I like Minor alot&#33
wink.gif

and Psittacina's

No endangered species in my bog.

I also have Drosera filiformas ssp. tracyi
and of course capillaris.

I planted 3 Venus flytraps last year and two
are alive and are beginning to flower this year.

I've also added about 5 pine lillys and want to add more
lilly.jpg

Hat Pins (Eriocaulon compressum), have come up naturally, they really set off a bog, another neat flower.

I'd love to add some Pinguicula lutea and primulifora..
I'm also looking for other native bog plants such as "Grass Pink Orchids, "Rose Bug Orchids" and other flowers.

My bog is about 130' long by about 60' wide more or less. Like I said it's a natural Sandhill Seep Bog. Before I purchased the property the area of the bog was completly grown over with brush and trees. Did any CP's exists then?? I don't know, as I had the bog and other parts of the property cleared off and a small pond built on part of the property. I did not know much about Sarracenia back then. It just so happens that the bog was "perfect" for native carnivourous plants. It stays wet about nine months out of the year. The soil is mucky grey sand and very acidic. It's located in South Alabama... Hey, it's turned out good so far!

I'm now doing a yearly burn in late February or early March, depending on weather conditions and alike. I'm a member of our local Volunteer Fire Department so I have access to, and help with burning. I'm going to have to do a growing season burn on of these years to help really cut back alot of weeds and other grasses. With out fire competition is fierce in a native bog.

I've also planted about 10 acres of Longleaf Pine. Which is a native tree and naturally grows around bog invironments and also requires fire. A native cactus "Prickly Pear" also grows on the sand hills around here, it blooms in Late May to June I'll post few pics.

I travel alot and get to see LOTS of interesting stuff.
South Alabama is my home and I know it well!

Chunnenuggee

I have a primuliflora plantlet on the mother prim... I'll contact you when it gets bigger. (That is, if you want it on your bog!
tounge.gif
wow.gif
wink.gif
)

Hey welcome to the forums
smile.gif

I think youll love it here there is a great bunch of people who share a huge common interest in these plants.

Since you are working on your bog and it sounds like you'd like a variety of plants come on over to the trading post section. There is always something new to be gotten there. Im not sure if you are into trades or more to the point taking plants out of your bog and trading for different species, but if you are interested in gathering more thats a good place to start. Nice pics by the way
smile.gif
I cant wait to see more!

Chunnenuggee you have a PM
smile.gif

Chunnenuggee,  I'll be getting some very vigorous mature vft's in a couple of weeks. If you're interested I'll send them to you when I get them. Since you only have two I think it wouldn't hurt to add a few more genes to your vft gene pool. I also have a few other specices coming. Of course nothing is free, In return you'll have to show me your bog next time I'm in AL.
Again good job.
Mark

Hey maybe they'll spread all over AL and become an invasive species, wouldn't that be great.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (0zzy @ April 30 2003,11:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Chunnenuggee,  I'll be getting some very vigorous mature vft's in a couple of weeks. If you're interested I'll send them to you when I get them. Since you only have two I think it wouldn't hurt to add a few more genes to your vft gene pool. I also have a few other specices coming. Of course nothing is free, In return you'll have to show me your bog next time I'm in AL.
Again good job.
Mark

Hey maybe they'll spread all over AL and become an invasive species, wouldn't that be great.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Sounds Good! When you're in Bama give me a shout and I'll give you the 50 cent tour so to say
smile.gif

I'm open to any offers for additional CP's for the bog.. I've have lots of room and have a good, loving, caring home for additional CP's native to the South Land.

I DO have an inside source for native CP's at a local (kinda local) Wholesale Nursery. They are excited that someone is trying to keep native CP's alive in their native habitat so they cut me a deal on plants from time to time.

I wonder why "some" of my pics so up as the dreaded "red x"??

hmmm. they worked while I was at work..

I'll be out of pocket for couple of days, I'll be back this weekend. If y'all would like I'll post "lots" of pics of native bogs from the area...

Chunnenuggee . .

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Chunnenuggee @ April 30 2003,5:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wonder why "some" of my pics so up as the dreaded "red x"??

hmmm.  they worked while I was at work..[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
They don't work cause you probably uploaded them onto your site, then deleted them off after putting them up on pft, that's why they're just little red x's...

WELCOME, OH WELCOME, OH WELCOME,OH WELCOME,OH WELCOME,OH WELCOME,OH WELCOME,OH WELCOME,OH WELCOME, *gasp* to the FORUMS!
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif

biggrin.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif

alien.gif

smile.gif

biggrin.gif

alien.gif

smile.gif

biggrin.gif