What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Cuttings

Hay has anyone every used (Schultz TakeRoot) i just bought some and am wondering if it would work for some nep cuttings or any kind of cp cuttings.

Thanks
Mike

Yeah, I used Take Root on my nepenthes cuttings. It didn't seem to do much. I then used some Rootone and all of a sudden, roots started growing. Does this mean Take Root doesn't work? Not necessarily. The cuttings developing roots and me using Rootone may have just been a coincidence. But if I had a choice between Take Root and Rootone, I'd go with the Rootone.
smile.gif

what are the active ingredients and concentrations?
T

0.1% Indole-3-butyric Acid
99.9% other ingredients.

Should work same as rootone then.. Check the active ingredients on that and I think you will find the same thing with maybe a fungicide in the rootone also. Perhaps your Takeroot bottle was old Larry.

Rooting powders have a short shelf life.
Tony

Thanks for the info Tony.
My bottle could have been old, I got it at Home Depot.
I believe Rootone is available in small packets, maybe I should just buy what I need at the moment.

Here's the ingredients for both, seems very different.

ROOTONE ACTIVE INGREDIENTS:
1-Naphthaleneacetamide................... 0.20%
Thiram (tetra-methyl Thiuramidisulfide).. 4.04%
Inert Ingredients:....................... 95.76%

Schult'z Take Root
0.1% Indole-3-butyric Acid
99.9% other ingredients.

Ok the rootone uses NAA while the shultz is using IBA
Both are Auxins and do the same thing.. promote root growth.

These are the two most commonly used Auxins. The other ingredient in the rootone is a fungicide. It appears that the rootone has a higher concentration of active ingredient which might account for the better/faster results. My own personal thoughts that both should do fine. Again just make sure your powder is fresh. If you have a large bottle, take out what you need to work with and reclose the bottle quickly so that the powder doesn't absorb moisture from the air. Also storing unused powder in the freezer will help it's shelflife.
Tony

Back