What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any palm tree growers here?

i live in ohio and already have a small palm tree growing in my landscape. its from a farm in New Bern NC and is able to with stand cold weather. my question is the palms they sell at Lowes and homedepo - would they last outside all year around? ya know would they make it through the winter if i covered them good.... have no clue what types they sell or where they come from.... also any websites i could ask this question on??

Most of the palms they sell up there are probably sold as house plants. There are no palms that I know of that will withstand an Ohio winter. Here's some info I found:

Cold Hardy Palms

During my visit to OSU-ATI on July 19th, I was introduced to some very interesting experiments being done on campus. Outside the greenhouse headhouse are several banana trees ( on edible ) that been been grown, in Ohio's weather year round, for 3 years planted in the corner of the garden. The plants are partially protected by two exterior greenhouse walls.

They are also working on some experiments with cold hardiness in various palms. This will be very interesting to see if they can make it happen. Only a few palms look promising.

Hi Jeffsz.  This is not going to help you much but I have three Royal Palms in my front yard, one of which is nearing sixty feet tall.  You Ohio guys (I am an ex-Buckeye and OSU graduate) complain about raking leaves?  You ought to try to haul a thirty pound palm frond to the curb for trash pickup in ninty degree weather.  Life is tough here in South Florida.  
sad.gif

smile.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

haha - yeah i bet thats fun too - thanks for the help guys- nick sending you a pm .

Back