What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Collection in danger of dying

I agree with what Ozzy said, that it's about preserving the plants, and I will be glad to chip in and help. All I need is an address to send it to. I do not consider it a loan, but an investment for the longevity of Tamlin's plants.

Alan

Once again, thank you all for the support!! I am hoping today brings some good news from the owner of the local outlet for the company, but who knows? I will also be calling the company again to see if I can get to a higher up, or motivate someone there to make some phone calls to find me a loaner. It seems that they could do this much at least.

Copper, I think they felt that my mentioning this post was a threat. I don't want to threaten anyone, and that isn't the purpose of this post. I feel however that when a company screws up twice on the same deal they should be bending over backwards to make things right. Sure, companies like this can't give special attention in every instance, but it seems in this case a little understanding and relaxation of the rules might be in order. It's not money that is at stake here! I am sure that someone with a potential cash crop of pot plants would be saying "My problem should take precedence over some guy in NY growing plants for a hobby"!

Ozzy, I sure wish you lived closer I could use a hand with things electrical! Eventually I am going to have to hire another electrician to fix the useless arrangement the last contractor put in. He wired ONE outlet in the cellar and that has a plug that wont accept the regular AC plug that the ballast uses, which means running an extension cord from another outlet upstairs to carry the 1000 watt load. The grow room upstairs already is pretty loaded. It's a good thing that flourescent tubes don't have much resistance. I have about 30 of the 40 watt tubes on one circut!

It's not possible for me to take money from friends. It's not pride so much as good common sense. I feel like I already owe so many friends so much for sharing plants with me when I have no funds to reciprocate! I promise that I will do whatever it takes to keep the collection alive though, and better days are coming. The good weather for the next week is going to help out a lot! After that time, the real problems will start. I am also working on alternatives to the HID lighting even if I have to use the cursed credit cards to do it!

You're all a fine group: I have never met the like! As to having y'all call the company I am somewhat tempted! Let's see what today brings. I believe that they want to help, but I have to make them see that time is of the essence. If the only solution is a repair of the ballast, then perhaps they will give the repair and return some priority.

Meanwhile, I feel the beginnings of some virus thing! My son had a 103 temp for 3 days and he was just here installing the new hard drive. I have way too much to do to be sick: I have to essentially construct a grow space to house the plants when (and if) the light issue resolves. I plan on doing this over the weekend if I am still on my feet.

Once I get myself situated, I plan on mass producing and flooding the world with CP. Nothing is going to stop me from doing this! I haven't been able to be very active lately, so thanks for remembering my past efforts in that direction.
The good news is I have had germination from many of the Brasillian species from the seed Robert Gibson and others symapthetic to my goals have provided. Within the next few years I think we will be able to reduce the "rarity" of these plants significantly and finally see them more represented in collections throughout the world, with your help of course!

Hi Tamlin,

Have you considered giving a couple of people a few rare plants in exchange for their offer to help? Then it would not even feel like a loan. When one does not have alot of money it becomes very important but to someone who has alot, money just isn't that big of a deal. I think a few people are trying to say that in your case, for them, money just isn't the issue -- you and the plants are. If you can't get satisfaction from the company very soon -- and I doubt they will go the extra steps for you -- I would try to rethink the money help issue and see it from the POV of those offering. It kind of sounds like you could use some help. No one wants you to burn down your house or worry yourself sick. It is rare in life to find passion and people have a way of sharing a great deal when they stumble onto someone who is passionate about something that they themselves may only like but still deeply appreciate. It's one of life's great experiences.

Bobby

Today has brought some resolution. I got the company rep. to do my legwork and make some calls. The best he can do is to send me a 400 watt MH loaner ballast from their shop in Tennessee which will take some 3-4 days. If it comes in that space of time, I will be able to arrange something, even if I have to place the flats on the floor in the cellar. Meanwhile they are sending a shipping lable for my unit's repair. Now I hope the weather holds good in the interm 3 days.

Bobby I have indeed considered giving some folk some rare plants. This is essentially my whole focus in growing the plants. The problem with rare plants is they are usually rare for a reason, such as difficulty in acquisition and propagation. It takes years to raise Brasillian Drosera to flowering size, if you can find seed. Petiolaris plants do not respond to leaf cuttings for me. Up until now I haven't been able to afford dedicated space to propagate, but this will change soon. Many of the species I have acquired show less than 10% germination and so it is a long road to go on before there will be anything to share, per se. Right now the rare species are in the best place I think: where I can devote my attention to their care. Once I have the space and some mature plants things should take off with the F2 generations.
The other less rare tropicals I have in abundance to share with any that want them once I can afford to again ship them. Right now it's impossible to get at them easily.

SO, not to worry: it looks like the collection will squeak through. With the added space, I will again be able to seek new material to propagate and share. There are some promises of some really wonderful seed. I will be sowing Drosera pauciflora and D. esmeraldae asap as well as sow a batch of F2 D. montana var tomentosa, D. oblolanceolata, and D. neocaledonica since these species flowered and set seed. I should then be able to share these rare beauties. D graminifolia is about flowering size now and this will be another contribution. I will also be able to turn my attention to propagating the Utricularia and various forms of Dionaea in my collection and get these circulating. It's going to be fun times a comin' next season.

Once I get this squared away I can look towards sending out seed and gemmae over the fall months, so stay tuned! Tamlin is going to go Nova soon :)

I'm glad you're getting this worked out, william!
The king of the sundews must always have light
"I saw a light, it was a bright light, it was beautiful!"
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

If you loose any plants, please do not hesitate to psot here on the forum hwat you lost, I'm sure there is something i could do to help...
confused.gif

Capslock,
that is very generous of you! Well, if something happens and you dont want to do anything, you can always change your name to "ShiftKey"
biggrin.gif
Sorry, I always wanted to say that to you!
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
wow.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif
please don't take it offensively
biggrin.gif

-Spec

Wil,I hope they pull trough.Twin tube shoplites can be bought at wally world for $7

Spec, I think I'd pick the (escape) key!

Capslock

I'm finding this a bit late, but should we all email the company about the situation, and encourage them to expedite the help?

Sorry things have been tough for you, Tamlin.

Back