What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New CP books coming soon

I've been on a CP book buying spree and will have some books coming soon and I was just wondering if any of you have any thoughts on these books good or bad.

Carnivorous Plants by Tony Camilleri
Carnivorous Plants of New Zealand by Bruce Salmon
Carnivorous Plants of North america and Canada by Don Schnell
Gardening with Carnivores: Sarracenia Pitcher Plants in Cultivation and the Wild by Nick Romanowski
The Genus Utricularia; A Taxonomic Monograph by P.G. Taylor

Thanks!
smile.gif

I have those 3 books
Carnivorous Plants of New Zealand by Bruce Salmon a very good book that cover all NZ CP's great photos and lot of helpful data on cultivation and field trips.
Carnivorous Plants of North america and Canada by Don Schnell great new book not much about cultivation.
Gardening with Carnivores: Sarracenia Pitcher Plants in Cultivation and the Wild by Nick Romanowski a good culivation book for Sarracenia growing great photos lot of hybrid info.
arie

The one by Tony Camilleri has a lot of nice pictures but very little useful info.  And its also a bit thin  
confused.gif

The one by Don Schnell I found a bit boring (the older book, not the new one that just came out). Like Arie said, lots of info, but very little about how to actually grow the plants.

The new edition of CP of US & Canada by Scnhell is an excellent book, as far as ecology goes. It's a vast improvement over the first edition. I wouldn't recommend it if you want to learn how to grow the plants. Very little attention is paid to growing them. It's a very informative book though, with lots of detail on the ecology of the plants. Lots of good photographs and drawings as well.

I also have the Gardening with Carnivores by Romanowski. It's a small book dealing with Sarracenia. I would say the strong point of the book is the vast array of photographs. It really shows the variety to be found in Sarracenia hybrids. It gives good growing advice, perhaps a little more in depth than "The Savage Garden". The one drawback is that there are many non-registered cultivar names he applies to hybrids he shows in the book. Whether he ever plans on registering them, I have no idea, but it's really just a minor drawback.

If you have the $$ to spare, definitely buy them. They're both good books.

I have read the new edition of Schnell's book. Lots of great pictures, thorough species descriptions, and very few typos.

About the cultivation info: that's true, but providing comprehensive growing instructions was probably not Schnell's aim in writing the book. If he were to lengthen the book so as to satisfy everyone, it would be humongous (not that we'd mind)!

There is a review of Carnivorous Plants of the United States and Canada in the Sept. '02 Carnivorous Plant Newsletter.

Chris

The Taylor monograph is amazing, if you like Utricularia. It the envy of every drosera, ping and nepenthes collector - a complete and up-to-date treatment of a CP genus.

Thanks for the thoughts on these titles folks!
I thought the new edition of the Schnell book was supposed to be more updated with information on growing Sarracenia. I especially expect a lot from Romanowskis' book.

I guess I'll make up my own mind cos I've ordered them all anyway.
biggrin.gif

Hopefully I will receive the copy of The Genus Utricularia. I ordered it so long ago I don't remember when I ordered it... sometime in August! Kew doesn't respond to emails either... Now that's customer service!
wink.gif

Back