What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Holy <expletive deleted>!

Check out this news story from the Salt Lake Tribune (look down the page a few paragraphs for the part about "My Carnivore")

Now have a look at their website.

$28,000 eh? That's some pretty expensive cheese.

Neat display idea. I actually was looking at large 5 gallon size plastic witch culdrons at wal mart last halloween thinking a nep would look cool (albeit tacky) planted in one of those!
wink.gif

I don't think it's fair however that this company can say it's the first and only company selling carnivorous pets. There must be 100s of CP sellers. I guess most dealers don't reffer to them as pets but plants... I think most people think of their CPs a bit more than "just a plant", even though they are.

Sometimes i'm embarassed by my state-mates. $20 for a VFT? That's a pretty thick line of hype and packaging they're selling.

>Sigh<

confused.gif

Is it just me ... or does the article tout him as being the first to market a "pet flytrap"

Umm... in case I'm wrong (Correct me).... *THIS* website was based around the 'pet fly trap' idea?!

YEARS AGO

<eyeroll>

Something to be said for a copy cat.

OK

Now I'm a bit cranky...

But that's OK! Really'!
smile.gif

Maybe a few members can find a moment to email the following addresses to let them know that the "pet" flytrap has been around for quite a while.. and they just wasted their money on an idea that was built years ago.

bmims@sltrib.com

vanderson@sltrib.com

letters@sltrib.com

smile.gif

Well their care page certainly does suck. Lots of pertinent info here... NOT.

Wow, their advertising is even better than the old ads in the back of the comic books. I can't wait to read the information on the sundue (?) when they get those in. Should be entertaining in the least.

The FIRST supplier of these plants.......!!!!! Phillip, sorry to disillusion you both, but these plants have been available for a few years prior to PFT even! LOL!

The advertising highlights all that I hate about marketing CP as bizzare meat eating freakes of nature.

At those prices, I sincerely doubt that they are going to cut too deeply into your clientelle, LOL. I didn't look too deeply into the accessory "Graveyard Kit" as I can imagine the worst :)

Pete, I am wiling to be that the comic book ads inspired this concept, probably with a little help from Phillip!

Lol, this one is hilarious.

OH Tamlin, no no no

NOt the VFT.. I just meant the 'pet vft' .. that's all
wink.gif

Lol,

There are a lot of suppliers on the internet. I am tired of companies working on parents through the children. All this means is a lot more dead VFTs. I do not believe that people ordering from this sight are going to do much research on the care of the plants. Oh, well. I would certainly not sweat it Phil.

Hey Phil,
Your "petflytrap" name wouldn't happen to be copy-writed (or is it copy righted?), would it?
confused.gif

Hey Schloaty,

I'm not "worried" ... just irritated .
It's just irritating for someone to come so close to an idea that originated here.

As for the name.. yes.. we're safe... but the cooler thing is... first public use of a name or brand is pretty much a no brainer with copyright stuff
alien.gif
 ---  but we didn't chance that and covered our butt.

rolleyes.gif

*sigh*

I wouldn't be too irritated Phil. It's a quick silly gimick that won't last. Sadly, it won't last any longer than the plants they sell. The site lists adding flowers and stickers as a care technique!

I have written to the addresses on both sites, just to point out a few things.

At the same time, I'd like to point out what a blast I'm having with my plants from pft and the info I'm finding here in the forums!!! esp now that everything's coming out of dormancy and going berserk!
smile.gif

So, what exactly is a "Sundue"?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So, what exactly is a "Sundue"? [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Kate,
I think it's due a vacation!
wink.gif
LoL!!

ROFL.. that could be it!

Wow.....I'm not even sure what to say about that...other than GIVE THE MONEY TO ME!! I wanna start a LEGITIMATE business, not organized highway robbery. $20!?! I don't even like paying that much for rare Neps! When you make as much as I do, that's a LOT of money, lol. Not to mention those things are just rediculous. I understand you being a bit peeved. There are many cases where mimicry is NOT the best form of flatery. Alright, that's it....I'm done.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dyflam @ April 29 2003,04:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well their care page certainly does suck. Lots of pertinent info here... NOT.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Suck is too mild. Information wise that's a hard vaccum. They didn't tell you anything you couldn't have found in a cheap encyclopedia. And possibly less than that.

Two more thoughts:
1) If they do a websearch for pet flytrap, they'll pull this site up for sure. So they gave Phil some free advertising
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
2) Phil, when you gonna add those cute Caldron accessories to your CP line? J/K *chuckle*
biggrin.gif

Though they might make good Halloween gifts with a VFT tucked in 'em. Be better for the kids than candy.

Ok all..time for the letters to the editor at the SLC Tribune!!!
Let's show our colors!!
biggrin.gif

Back