What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Food containers for pots

Hi everyone,

I was drinking yogurt of the brand, Yonique "The Yogurt you drink" and noticed that it would make a great pot for deep rooting CP's of small size such as genlisea, pygmy drosera etc.

The circular yogurt cup is one and a half in. diameter at the opening(perfect if you are growing 2 or 3 pygmy drosera) and five in. deep! They are strong and sturdy (bottom is wider than opening to prevent tipping over).

I also use japanese microwaveable rice and beef or chicken bowls for terrestrial utrics. These bowls are 2in deep and 6 or so in diameter or 5 x 7in(gives plenty of space for stolons to spread) and black in color. They don't have drainage holes, are made from plastic that is pretty strong and are easily mistakable for a pot bought at a garden store.

Hope all this talk about food doesn't make anyone(else) hungry:)

CP2K

would a plastic container about 6-13 inches poke with something for drainage holes do?

It depends. It shouldn't be clear and should be strong enough to hold soil.
Throughly wash it and rinse of with distilled/rain water.
What do you mean by 6-13in? Do you mean deep, wide etc.

3-6 wide and what do you mean by throughly washed?

Hi Stir,
You will need to clean off any food particles and oil etc.
What plant are you trying growin this container?

vft, maybe a pygmy sundew or just about any small cps.

flytraps and pygmy drosera may be small in leaf size, but their roots go down very deep.
If the container isn't at least 3in deep than I wouldn't recommend pygmy drosera or flytraps. Terrestrial utrics and mex. pings are prefect for pots that are 3in or less in depth.

what if i covered a tray and a clear, 2 and a half inch deep container with a plastic bag?

could i grow a s. flava and cobra lillies in individual pots both 10 inches long, 5 inches across and 4 inches deep?

Back