What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Made new pix

• Thread starter WildFire
  • Start date
I've uploaded some new pictures of my cp's in my group. There are some realy cool close-ups to! I'm posting this here, 'cause its not just one species, I hope you guys like them!!!

link: My group

Greetings & happy growing,

WildFire

Very nice pics wildfire. Thanks for the post. It looks like some of the plants would like a little more light though. The capensis close ups were great.
smile.gif

More light?? There outdoors day & night!! In that case, I should buy a terrarium with lots of lights... Maybe its because I haven't had them all year.... I've had them for about 3 or 4 months now.. And before this, they where in this gadening center, that hasn't treated them very well..... and before I knew all this info about these plants, I didn't treat them any better.....

My sarr & vft are in full sun. I'm not sure if I should place my capensis in full sun though. But they seem to be alba (white flower), so I guess they won't get realy red anyhow.

Greeting & happy growing,

WildFire

Rats! The hosting sight you use is blocked by our company firewalls. DOH!

sad.gif
sad.gif

I was just mentioning more light for the fact that they seemed to be reaching a bit.

Schloaty,
Yeah, at least you don't get site names with the word butterwort filtered, or peacock.
tounge.gif

You mean the vft?? or also the other plants?? Do you think placing it in a terarium would help?? Maybe its because of our 14 day heatwave we had....... it was probably something like C. 30 in the sun... I don't know what that would be in farenheid.....

If I sounded a bit angry, I'm realy sorry, But when your giving your plants all the light you got, and someone tells you, you need to give the them more light, its kind of frustrating...
confused.gif

WildFire

Hi Wildfire.... 30C is about 86 F which is well within acceptable tolerance for VFT. I have found that mine do best with about 8-9 hours of full sun then bright shade till dark. How much do you water your plants? Mine do well when I fill the tray to about 1/2 inch (1-2 cm) and then allow it to evaporate almost completely before I fill again. Your Drosera look great.. wish mine would start looking that nice. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Steve

btw.. what part of Holland are you from? I have a bunch of family in Lisse (my dads whole family is from Holland)
Steve

Steve,

My Drosera probably don't look as nice as you think....
confused.gif
I've repotted them a while ago, cause there where with nine plants in this realy small pot with this crappy soil with salts & stuff. So I repoted them in 9 little pots, and all the new leaves look dewy & nice, but they still have a lot of messy looking old leaves, as you can see at "glenn's meat eating plants"..... those where mine, but I decided to give them away.
biggrin.gif

Next; my vft:
I'm curently giving it less water then you do, I'll increase the amount of water up to 2 cm, we shall see if it works.

And about where I live... Lisse hm? that would be... about 150 km away from me. I live in Gelderland, near Zevenaar, in a small vilage called Herwen. Now I'm wondering, have you ever been to holland??? If so, what do you think??
biggrin.gif

schloaty,

I've got internet a school, and they block a lot of webpages to, but, If your lucky, there IS a way around!!! There are certain webpages, that download the site for you, and then display it for you in on the website site itself... you don't have you visted page yourself, the website does this for you.

There mostly used for extra privacy, but, you can also use them to get past firewalls...as long as these website's remain unblocked anyway... here a little list for you:

http://www.anonymizer.com/
http://proxify.com/
http://www.w3privacy.com/

I hope they work!

WildFire

Hey WildFire,
Unfortunately, no I have never been to Holland, it is in the top 5 places I would like to go though. The others being: England to tour on motorcycle, Germany to drive the Autobahns, Australia to dive the reefs, and Hawaii also to tour on motorcycle
smile.gif

Steve

That sure sounds good to me steve! Anyway, because you have family in Holland, do you know if I can keep my plants outside al year round?? that would simpify things allot!

WildFire

Well, the block was removed! I think it may have been up due to those viruses that were running rampant.
Nice looking plants there! Those capensis look great. I love the pic where it's eating the cheese. What kind of cheese did you feed it?

Are you sure your sars are pure Leucophylla, and not a hybrid? They look much tubbier than mine do, and the lids are way more frilled.
confused.gif
Sure are pretty, though!
biggrin.gif

hey WildFire...
I dont know the exact climate you have there, but if I'm not mistaken I believe you get snowfall in the winter... VFTs and Sars will go dormant, but dont really like temps much lower than about 5 or 6C (they will survive an occasional dip that low, but I wouldnt recommend prolonged exposure) Your Capensis grows year round so set up some kind of light for it and bring it inside and it should be fine.

Good luck
Steve

Wildfire,

I love Holland! It's a great place with really nice, on-the-ball people. I knew I'd like it when I got off the plane and saw a like of taxis that were all shiny silver Mercedes. The taxi driver spoke better English than most of them here. I would go back to visit any time!

The only bad thing that happened was my camera got stolen in a, *cough* "coffee shop."

Capslock

Schloaty,

Hmm.... it could be a hybrid..... allthough I not sure.... The little card with it just said "Sarracenia Leucophylla"... if it would be a hybrid, what kind could it be?
And about the cheese... remind me again please, because I don't have time to look for it now. When I get home this afternoon, I shall take a look. (if I don't forget it...
confused.gif
)

Capslock,

You're not just saying this, because i'm dutch are you?
confused.gif

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif
 Anyway, there are way better places to go then those coffie shops! But, I CAN understand why you went though!  
wink.gif

Steve,

I already thought winters would probably be too cold... we indeed have snow sometimes.... if where lucky... I guess i'll put them in my frige... but probably, my fridge is to warm... its C. 7 all the time. Thats is a little to warm isn't it?

WildFire

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WildFire @ Aug. 28 2003,11:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I guess i'll put them in my frige... but probably, my fridge is to warm... its C. 7 all the time. Thats is a little to warm isn't it?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
No. Thats just fine, Check out this topic winter dormancy there is a pretty good description of how to go about preparing your plants for a "fridge dormancy"

Good luck
Steve

Wildfire,
There was a pic of a capensis eating cheese...the leaf was all curled around it. I was just curious what kind of cheese they like...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The only bad thing that happened was my camera got stolen in a, *cough* "coffee shop."
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
smile.gif
wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (schloaty @ Aug. 29 2003,12:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wildfire,
  There was a pic of a capensis eating cheese...the leaf was all curled around it.  I was just curious what kind of cheese they like...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Well he's from Holland..  so obviously it was some of that yummy  smoked Gouda cheese  
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

Steve

Steve & Schloaty,

Well.... its indeed Gouda cheese!
biggrin.gif
but, its not smoked. Also, I don't think this would be THE cheese to feed, because it takes a realy long time before its gone.....

WildFire

It looks to me like your Sarracenia is a Leucophylla x purpurea, possible even another parent like flava. NICE PLANTS!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Guess what.... I added even more pix, but now from the new plants I bought recently..... men, I keep making new pix........  
tounge.gif

lithopsman,

I believe you are right, so I chanced (speling?) the names a bit. thank you!

Greeting & Happy growing,

WildFire

Back