What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RO water

• Thread starter lithopsman
  • Start date
hi,
at my lakehouse we have a HUGE RO system, in it's own room, because it pumps the water out of the lake, and comes out the tap, after going through the RO system. Does it add minerals. It says DO NOT EXCEED 200 PSI.
                       I dunno.
confused.gif

Thanks

It's doubtful. The only way to be sure is to have the water tested for TDS (total dissolved solids).

well hopefully,
where can i get that done?

A pool place or a good petstore should be able to test it for TDS.  Also check and make sure the RO water is not going through a water softener.  Low TDS is important but the minerals that make up that TDS are equally important.
Tony

oops forgot to add that the 200psi is just the pressure rating for the system. Most large/commercial RO units are run at fairly high pressure. They do a better job at filtering water that way among other things.

lithopsman,
  An RO system is supposed to filter out the minerals and stuff.   Sometimes, if the water coming in has a lot of minerals disolved in it, there will be a water softner to remove some of the minerals before it goes through the RO filters.
It would be a good idea to have the water tested if the RO filters haven't been changed in a while.

Yep I should have been a bit more specific on the softener part... passing through a water softener before the RO system is fine.. after is not. I would also agree that it should be tested. RO filters have a limited life.
T

It's only a year old, and it's pumped straight out of the lake, filtered, and tastes darn flat.

lithopsman,
  RO membrane filters usually need replaced every couple of years or so.  The other filters will need replace after 6 months or 1 year.   This will depend on the manufacturers recommendation and how much water you use.
   Haven't got an RO system myself.   Most of what I know I learned while checking into them last month.

Well,
the people who installed it just came back and worked on it. They put something in it.
confused.gif

They would be the people to talk to then to find out how the system is put together, any water softeners etc etc. They should be able to test the TDS also.
T

well erm
confused.gif

they were hired by my builder, and we just let them do their thing. The water does taste really flat. Can Phil or Jeff test it?

lithopsman,

Like Tony said, talk to those people or talk to your builder. Find out what they did. It could save you money in the long run on unnecssary tests. As the owner of the building, you have a right and a need to know and understand the RO system. Nothing made by human hands is perfect. Eventually you will need to know enough about it to fix it. Even if fixing it only requires putting in a new filter.
Also, RO water usually tastes flat because the minerals and salts that give it flavor have been removed or reduced. However, the human tongue isn't calibrated to give readings of the exact quantities of minerals left in the purified water. This is another reason to talk to those people. They may be able to tell you where in your area you can have your water tested or where you can get a TDS meter to monitor your water with so you know when the filters need changed.
You should also have a user manual/guide for your system. It would answer a lot of your questions on your system.
Sorry about getting long winded. It seems to happen to me a lot in these forums.

Back