What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colecting Wild...

What exactly are the rules about interacting with wild CPs? I know collecting the plants is a no no, heck, I wouldn't do THAT if it was legal. But I do wonder, can a sertain number of seeds be colected? What about Pollin? I'm asking because I am living nere a place that is natrally over run with sundew and pitcher plants
smile.gif
Mainly I would like a few seeds because I haven't seen these northern guys for sale. If it's bad I'll just help the plants scatter their seeds a little and leave, but I'd like to know since I've read a few references about people having direct decendent plants from wilds. Wouldn't it be lovely if I could bring back the CPs to the bog on my farm? The habitat is perfict, but sadly most native plants where destroyed over 100 years ago by cows. We do have some Jack in the Pulpit and I think a butterwart but thats all
sad.gif
I don't know if we ever had CPs, but I'm guessing we did as invasive bog spiecies are EVERYWARE (we call our little boggy thing the sponge, lol)

Oh yah, and the "sponge" used to be much much bigger but all the wells that recently appeard have reduced it to a small area with only a gurgle left at what used to be powerfull springs (It's cool, their are stream beds running every which way in the area, to bad most are dry now
sad.gif
our land chunk is one of the last to have a "gurgle" left)

Taking seed form one bog adn sowing it in another is no problem. YOu just introducing plants to another bog and since these plants are endangered you shouldn't be in the wrong, you're just helping thme along. Also, I highly reccomend against you bringing plants from the other bog to your own collection, leave them where they are, that's where they shoudl be in their bog, and besides you can go visit them anytime you want.
smile.gif
But if you want to take a 1 or 2 flower stalks and scatter the seed in the CPless bog you know of them I say go for it.

Okay, I'll give it a try with just a bitsy bit of seed as I don't know how picky they are. I would never mess with a plant, just a seed or two (yes I literally mean one itty bitty seed). I do have a question though... How exactly do we get new types of plants in captivity in the first place? Is it just origenal stock from 30 years ago or what?

-Darcie

We have started restoreing our land already
smile.gif
The hilly dryer part used to have trillium so we have begun replanting them (this is one of the few origenal plants to be hystoriclly documented ) I also had the thrill to decover that a evening primrose some how made it into the dryer part of the bog! Not bad seeing as this land have 50+ years of being a raspberry farm followed by another 30+ years of over crowded horses all on top of the origenal years of cattle! I'm honestly impressed that any native plants made it back but they did
wink.gif
(just not the slower and rarer ones like Trillium)

There aren't any "rules" on how to and not to field collect, and although it is generally frowned upon, it can be done, although it must be done in a careful and responsible manner.

You might want to check out this site, which has a lot of information on CPs and conservation.
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq4240.html

Whatever you plan to do, make sure that there isn't anything illegal about it first.

Jœl

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mindmaze128 @ Sep. 26 2002,03:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There aren't any "rules" on how to and not to field collect, and although it is generally frowned upon, it can be done, although it must be done in a careful and responsible manner.

You might want to check out this site, which has a lot of information on CPs and conservation.
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq4240.html

Whatever you plan to do, make sure that there isn't anything illegal about it first.

Jœl[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Oh thank you. I am a very very carefull person when it comes to messing with nature. If I can colect a seed or two I ALWAYS follow the native american practice of garthering seeds and planting most in areas that I know they will do well in. I even do this when I eat a raspberry
smile.gif
I leave most on the plant for the animals and plant one a little ways away. If I were to take a seed and grow it, I'd probubly bring some of it's seeds back the next year too so that it's genes stayed in the wild population
smile.gif
I'll go read that page now and thanks.

-Darcie

After carefully thinking things over, I have decided not to colect any seed, rather I will try to fined a domestic cultivation and once I have those, collect a bit of pollen from the locals
smile.gif

Hi,
Just some comments, personally I don't have a problem in removing a small amount of seed, that way you do not remove any plants that have unique characteristics from a particular gene pool.
But there is a problem moving seed from one site to another. It is not such a problem lets say a bog 1/2 mile away or so that looks suitable, but if for example Gulf coast flava seed was transplanted into the Green Swamp of North Carolina, then eventually they could hybridize with local flava populations with disasterous consequences. This would mean that the gene pool would be contaminated forever.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mike King @ Sep. 26 2002,11:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi,
 Just some comments, personally I don't have a problem in removing a small amount of seed, that way you do not remove any plants that have unique characteristics from a particular gene pool.
 But there is a problem moving seed from one site to another. It is not such a problem lets say a bog 1/2 mile away or so that looks suitable, but if for example Gulf coast flava seed was transplanted into the Green Swamp of North Carolina, then eventually they could hybridize with local flava populations with disasterous consequences. This would mean that the gene pool would be contaminated forever.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
uh no! I was talking reintroducing native plants, but I'll need to do some soil test first.

Back