What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pot help

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I would like to plant a VFT and a pitcher plant together in the same pot. I would like a 8" - 10" round, maybe 4" - 5" high. Or a rectangle,same dimensions. I went to several store today and not coming up with anything.
I was at a pet store and they had a 9" round bowl, about 2 1/2" high. I'm worried that would not be tall enough. I'd like to keep about 1/2" water in the bottom of the pot all the time. I'm worried the VFT and Pitchers roots might get root rot if they are in the water all the time.
Can the roots of these plants be wet all the time, or should they just be moist? I would like to keep the 1/2" of water in there because it will be out on my deck that gets the sun all day.
I might have to get a plastic storage container, I think I've seen some the size I'm looking for, and make a wooden frame around it so that the plastic container is not an eye sore on the deck.
Any other ideas?

Your going to want something nice and deep if your keeping it on your deck. Even 4-5" is pretty shallow. You should be able to find a nice 10" pot at walmart or some local nursery. I would suggest something that has a tray with it. That way you can water every day but you won't keep it flooded since the water level in the soil will only be up as high as the top of the tray.

Tony

I went and bought The Savage Garden book last night. Great book. It's helped with a lot of the questions I had. It looks like I should not replant the plants I was going to in the new container till they start waking up from there dormant period next year. Guess I'll just keep them in the small plastic pots they came in for now.

Back