What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi there everyone.
At the request of a few people and largely thanks to the rabbit lady (that's you U/clown) I found somewhere to host a few pics from my trip to Sumatra.

Here goes....

This is my son Kai and a 5 day old Rafflesiana  arnoldi. Apparently in the dry season they last about 10 days and in the wet about 7. The colour starts to fade after about 3 days!

11203800-77f6-012C01C0-.jpg

A nice purple albo-marginata next to a green one (plants grow right next to each other so go figure?)
And... a juicy looking eustachya which I had to hack my way through fields of to get to the albo's!

11203798-8215-01C20198-.jpg

I know this shot is too dark but it's Kai (once again) next to the trunk of a bloody HUGE Amorphophallus titanium. The guy that showed it to me says he thinks it's ready to flower the next time it regrows.

11203799-097f-0101015E-.jpg

This is the very underrated N longifolia being held by some guy that happened to walk by cause Kai wouldn't put down his @#$@@ game-boy for 2 secs to hold it up for me. I KNEW it was a mistake letting him take that thing.

11203801-dd4b-015E0233-.jpg

Last but certainly not least, Mt Singalang. Home to N gymnamphora, bongso (a particularly elusive form that successfully hid from me on this trip) and the very exciting N singalana, Sumatra's highland version of gracilis.
If you look very close, in the centre of the pic and slightly to the right, about half way up the mountain, you can see the TV tower things where you start the hike. You have to look really, really close and maybe even use glasses.

11203811-a7c2-015E00EA-.jpg

Bit of variety there to (hopefully) interest everyone.

Cheers, Troy.

great photos Troy
If you need place to host some more you can e-mail them to my address and I'll put them om my server
arie

Those are some Phat photos, fatboy.
biggrin.gif

travis

(STANDING OVATION) YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
What kind of plants did they let you keep?

WOW Stunning Pics!! Love em!

hmmm.. think I need to make a business trip out there.. hehe
Tony

Well wow! Is only what i have to say!
smile.gif
I really NEED to go to Borneo/Sumatra/etc. now!
biggrin.gif

AMAZING!
biggrin.gif

What an experience, you have seen plants I would only dream of ever having a chance to see! Esp the Raflessia and Amorphophallus.

Thanks for sharing those amazing pics!

Woow. I don't know... Just Wow.
sad.gif
That is so nice................. I'm speachless, really...

Fatboy, thanks for sharing your pics. The longifolia is awesome!
smile.gif

Back