What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For all ppl who care for any fish

for those who take care of fish especillay predtaory ones such as cichlids , catfish , or arowanas then i would like to introduce ppl to a new ebsite just like pertflytrap but they talk about predtory fish . they will also tell you how to care for them to . www.predatoryfish.net , is the fourum place ,http://kingsoftheaquarium.tripod.com will tell you info on the fish . i also want to know who takes care of fish , list the types you have , I have a silver arowana . for ppl who own arowanas I would recomend www.arowana.net and www.arofanatics.com to learn more and the other ones I listed . hope i get alot of replys .

I have two pacus, 1 about 7 in. long, and about an inch wide, and #2 (his name is progonoskii (I don't even know how to spell my pets name!
tounge.gif
) is over a foot long and over 2 in. wide, and he ways over 1-2 punds! I know they are vegeitarians, but when they are juvinile, they eat meat, so I thought I'd post.
smile.gif
I know they eat meat (I've seen them eat meat from "2 - 7 in. after 7 in. they get strictly vegeitarians, at least in my experiance) because alot of my other fish have mysteriously disapeared at night after I hear a large splash, lol
tounge.gif

I have 4 Betta, 1 male, 3 female... What exactly defines a fish as "preditory"? I know it's a captive fish term because you would be hard pressed to find a large number of wild fish that don't eat other animals, lol. Is it the size of critters they eat or what?

no, just whether or not it kills and eats live prey. (like other fish and bugs)

bettas do eat live fish in the wild
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I have a pretty big salmon in the freezer does that count?
tounge.gif

If not, I have a Betta too  
wink.gif

Um... arent most fish predatory aside from the scum suckers? I mean I had some gold fish that ate my neons so they could be considered predatory too. Oh and my guppies ate thier babies what about that?

Ok ok Ill shut up now before ya chase me down with a bat.
wow.gif

bettas count as well , they meybe small but they do attack ohter fish , I recomend a site called www.arofanatics.com , i also have a 10 pound salmon in my fridge , it was so heavy that it fell on me in the fridges and it made me bleed a lil , i condier it predatory
tounge.gif

I maintain reef aquariums for a living. Like Duece B, mostly 75 gallon tanks.

Ive been keeping fish since I was 15. Due to time constraints i dont currently run any tanks at my home, but at one time had 7 going at once.

I kept 3 tanks for 2 years with out any filtration other than plants. I had one going that became colonated with daphnia I used it to raise fresh water pipefish in. They were neat.

Peace
biggrin.gif

I miss my fishies. I used to breed Cichlids in High School/College. Cichlids are my favs!
smile.gif

i had and spawned bettas
but not for  years
i belonged to the local betta club (i know what a dork ha ha)
tried to breed some with black bodies and orange fins
but it never worked out got them black got them yellow(gold)
got them black-yellow but never orange
had red ones blue ones green ones had cambodian butterflys(variegated) and some with clear fins oh yes had some double tails too
my best one i had was a black body  with red and clear fins it was a magnificence fish he had fins that looked like lace

can I consider this a predetory fish?
tounge.gif

shk.gif

SORRY, I HAD TO POST IT.
tounge.gif
(I'M PLANNING ON BEING AN OCEANOGRAPHER)

YES YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!

I had a 16" Silver Arowana which jumped and knocked itself out on the canopy one day. BUT, predatory fish? i had em all.

Pirannahs, Fresh water barracudas, 12 inch Pacu's (They're actually known as vegatarian pirannah's), Needle Nose Gars, Stingrays, Sturgeons, fiddler Crabs, Crayfish...etc

However, it was a pain to go out and buy feeder fish all the time so now I only have one 50 gallon tank with a couple fancy guppies, a couple tetra's and a ghost shrip. lolz

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tripz @ Jan. 06 2003,1:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I had 12 inch Pacu's (They're actually known as vegatarian pirannah's)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
freindly correction:
actually, they're not pirannahs, or vegatarian pirannah's, but they are relitaves of the pirannah... (I'll have to check the latin name to be sure...:))
12 in.? What did you feed them? mine are over 14 in., and still growing by the week...
confused.gif

Pacu's:
LATIN NAME(S):
• Colossoma bidens (RED PACU)
• Colossoma macropomum (BLACK-FINNED,or red-bellied PACU)
• Piaractus brachypomum (BLACK PACU )
AVG. ADULT LENGTH:
• 20" for the Red Pacu
• 35" for the Black-Finned Pacu
• 40"+ Black Pacu.

Piranahs:
LATIN NAME:
Serrasalmus

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spectabilis73 @ Jan. 06 2003,11:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">freindly correction:
actually, they're not pirannahs, or vegatarian pirannah's, but they are relitaves of the pirannah... (I'll have to check the latin name to be sure...:))[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
ehehe...yep, that's what i meant  
tounge.gif
but i've heard alot of ppl refer to them as vegatarian pirannah's *shrugz* eheh

well, they're pretty dirty fish, but they look cool! I dunno what it is, either they piss alot or what. I used to feed them flakes when they were small....then when they got bigger, i fed them chicled pellets and just upgraded in size as they grew. Small pellets, medium pellets then large. Eventually, they grew too big for my tank (i had 3 pacu's) so i went out to the local canadian tire store and bought a childrens swimming pool (6foot diameter) to put in my basement!! lolz, so yeah, i had them in there for awhile, pretty cool but then just ended up trading them in for other fish.

I have a red Oscar. I've had him for about 4 years. He's 10" long not counting his tail. I've had him since he was smaller than what size just his tail is now. He is quite determined to keep his 30 gal tank arranged the way <i>he</i> wants it. Even when he was real little I thought I could get away with having a beautiful Amazon sword plant in there. Nothing doin'. Woke up the next morning and he'd completely destroyed it.
sad.gif
Next I tried plastic with the same results as the live one.
sad.gif
He has one of those air curtains too. He loves it. It started out being nicely arranged along the back of his tank. Note that I said, <i>"It started out"</i>. He promptly moved it out away from the glas and off to one end so he could swim through it. Only stands to reason I guess that since he lives in water he'd like to bathe in air.
The large rock he used to hide behind when he was little he now pushes around when he's mad. He's fun to watch, but also a messy eater.
I have koi and comets outdoors in a 2,000 gal pond/bog too.
Bye for now,

Well, I keep MANY fish. I don't really want to take the time to think about exactly which ones are predatory right this minute, but I'll post them all!
biggrin.gif

Here we go!

CURRENTLY:
1 black moor goldfish
1 calico fantail goldfish
1 black/white marble angelfish
1 black veil angelfish
1 albino corydoras catfish
1 peppered corydoras catfish
1 skunk corydoras catfish
1 ottocinclus algae eater
3 red platties
4 neon tetras
3 albino glowlight tetras
1 zebra danio
1 golden danio
1 turquoise/blue/red female betta

And many more to come!
biggrin.gif
Once I get more, which I'm going to do since I'm going to get a 29 gallon tank soon, I'll add them to this post.

Back